Bad News - Ash Borer

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor did and they are so slow growing been twenty years maybe 6" to 8" trunk and 2O feet tall most are a lot smaller
Oak are very long lived. And if grass can be kept back away 2 to 3 feet the first 5 years, they will reward you will better growth. Their acorns are fed heavily on by deer, wild turkeys and rodents including squirrels. Great choice for wildlife planting.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oak are very long lived. And if grass can be kept back away 2 to 3 feet the first 5 years, they will reward you will better growth. Their acorns are fed heavily on by deer, wild turkeys and rodents including squirrels. Great choice for wildlife planting.
They are loaded with acorns this year , and bigger than usual. The old timers used to claim it's going to be a tough winter when you see that.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing a lot of the old ranchers used them for was fence posts. Trying to pound a fence staple into some of those old gnarly fence posts was a near impossibility unless there was a crack you could wedge a staple into. I can't imagine there are still a lot of them in use, but back in the 70s and 80s...we had them on our pasture fences in spades. Given the type of barbed wire used, they were probably original from the early 1900s up to around 1940.

I wouldn't expect to get 40-70 years of service out of today's green treated fence posts (maybe I'm wrong) but those old ash branches were dang durable. I think a lot of them were treated by letting them soak in used motor oil for a year, or so.
Oil generally weakens wood. The benefit may've been water repellency.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: White is superior to red. Does white oak exist in ND? Another issue: Oak does not reliably hit IME in the Hills. Most game get black walnut and hickory; beech has been afflicted with a same type "ash disease".

It's not caused by your truck or stove. The Earth wobbles in rotation.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO: White is superior to red. Does white oak exist in ND? Another issue: Oak does not reliably hit IME in the Hills. Most game get black walnut and hickory; beech has been afflicted with a same type "ash disease".

It's not caused by your truck or stove. The Earth wobbles in rotation.
Burr Oak is the native oak of North Dakota.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Burr Oak is the native oak of North Dakota.
These are the oaks I'm familiar:

Red;

1724382697154.png

White:

1724382849054.png

Pin:

1724382985032.png

During the process of this post; I've learned there's 17 species. Retard me had no idea.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do know when white hits; that's the place.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've planted alot of green ash in shelter belts in the last 20 years. I really hate hearing about the emerald ash borer. I knew when it was found in Winnipeg and in Moorhead that it would get here sooner or later. I'm not looking forward to all my green ash dying as I'd rather not tear out the whole shelter belt to replant. Problem is most of my green ash are in the middle rows not the edge. I certainly don't have time to chemically treat every one. I'm quite a bit north of Lamoure, but I'll bet them buggers will move across the state quickly.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://arborthrive.com/emerald-ash-borer-treatments-saint-cloud-mn/
This one is much better as one only needs to treat the tree once, I worked for a tree service in 2001 and this is what he used to treat the infected trees after the dead limbs were removed.
The one where you pour it directly on the ground may need to be done multiple times since the solution may not reach the roots especially in heavy soils like the red river valley.
images.jpeg

Uhh, once every two years. From your link:
"One trunk injection treatment of emamectin benzoate provides 99% control for two years and must be repeated once every two years to continue protection."

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uhh, once every two years. From your link:
"One trunk injection treatment of emamectin benzoate provides 99% control for two years and must be repeated once every two years to continue protection."
Thanks for the clarification Allen, it's been a very long time from most post that I witnessed Dwight treat those trees back in grand forks. Do you agree with science manipulating mother nature to produce a super tree like hybrids, when with certainty that these trees would never exist without science or if they did would take many lifetimes?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive thought about trying trunk injection of insecticide for treating the borers that are killing my ponderosa, but its fairly labor intensive and also expensive, especially when you need to do 100 trees or whatever...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might turn out to be beneficial here. Oak and Ash compete against each other in the native woodlands and the Oaks are winning.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might turn out to be beneficial here. Oak and Ash compete against each other in the native woodlands and the Oaks are winning.
I absolutely adore my 100 year old oaks in my yard they just continue to grow stronger each year, while the few ashes continue to struggle because of the bugs and those wood peckers that drill holes in them to feed. The oaks in my yard are those of the red oak species which tend to grow faster then those of the white. I believe that some of these oaks could be older but they most likely grew slower because of the lack of space to compete for sun as well as moisture. My neighbor who is next to my property has an oak that is well over 3 feet wide and that's becuase it sits in the back of his house where there isn't any other big tree. All those trees have a negative side though and that is because of the amount of leaves that need to be removed each fall. This year's tree canopies are even bigger because of the amount of moisture we have had this summer

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried a few different zone 4 hardy oaks in my pasture but ran out of time to really take care of them so all they had for help was tree tubes. None of them made it. The black walnuts also struggle with grass competition and lack of care it seems. My tall deciduous trees the soil conservation planted within my tree rows consist of Bur Oak, Hawthorne, and Hackberry and man do i struggle to get them to grow. Everything else seems to need quite a few replacements the first year or two and then kind of level off but those ones are trouble every year for me. I'm thinking i may need to try the nitrogen trick with them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 127
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38