Battery Questions

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all. Finally got my first boat. There are bow and transom mount trolling motors already in place. Each motor is hooked to its own battery. There is a single bank on board charger in the bow tied to the transom battery only. I have done some research, and it seems that I could tie the batteries together in parallel and run both trolling motors from the two and also charge both with the single bank charger. Has anyone tried/done something like this in the past? Are there any adverse affects from charging two parallel batteries from a single bank? Just a rookie looking for advice/ideas...any input welcome. Thanks

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The half-wit you bought it from should have ran them in parallel in the first place. I have never personally seen somebody charge 2 batteries from a single bank, but I guess it could be possible. The main reason to still buy a 2 bank in that situation would be charge time.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
12V yes. I agree Ahab, it should have been done right away. If charge time is the only concern, I may just go ahead as there should be plenty of charge time with my fishing schedule... Any idea how long it would take to charge two with the single bank? I do not know the Amp's on the charger...

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
The half-wit you bought it from should have ran them in parallel in the first place. I have never personally seen somebody charge 2 batteries from a single bank, but I guess it could be possible. The main reason to still buy a 2 bank in that situation would be charge time.
Im gonna laugh when that half wit is a member of nodak and gets pissy.. he could even give you bad rep points:;:stirthepot

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
12V yes. I agree Ahab, it should have been done right away. If charge time is the only concern, I may just go ahead as there should be plenty of charge time with my fishing schedule... Any idea how long it would take to charge two with the single bank? I do not know the Amp's on the charger...

Overnight will easily cover it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yup, the half wit is going to rub poo in your face Ahab....hahaha

that's even worse than bad rep:;:huh

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly you are probably better off ripping everything out and rewiring yourself…it sounds like this “half-wit” might not have been doing things the correct way…better to get it done right now then trying to “rig” it out on the water. Also 12v systems really tend to drain rapidly…might not be a bad idea to invest in a 24v system…one good 24v bow mount would be more efficient than running both bow and transom...should be able to pick up a V2 pretty cheap as many people are upgrading to terrova or i-pilot systems...also keep in mind that in any battery system it is only as powerful as the weakest battery

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 22' SeaSwirl Striper that I have in CA has two 12v starting batteries in series and I can charge both batteries with a single charger overnight when I put the boat in service at the beginning of the season. Also when we come back to CA in the fall I put the charger on my Ford Power Stroke to top off the 2 starting batteries after not running it for 6 months and it charges both up overnight. I think you will be fine with what you plan to do. IF it doesn't work, you can always change things later.

Steve.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this boat just have the 2 trolling motors or is there a gas aswell? The half wit may have been thinking that if he was out for a long day and killed a battery he would have another to make it back to the ramp.

I did not sell this boat!

riverfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can charge 2 batteries off one bank if wired correctly just going to take a little longer. IF you have a 6 am charger and 2 batteries it will be like putting a 3 amp on each one

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doubtful that the "half-wit" is a member of NDA as the boat was purchased in the burbs of the twin cities. Nothing looks messed up as far as the wiring goes. He had the bow mount first and just ran it with the one battery and installed the charger up there. Later, he installed the transom mount and just put a battery back there to run it as needed. The boat is a tiller with a 60 fs, so he said he rarely used the transom mount motor.

- - - Updated - - -

what is the stretch of wire you have too run from front to back?

10-14' Depending how I run them. Concerned with the distance?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just spend the money on as heavy gauge wire as you can find. That distance shouldn't be a problem.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14