Beaver Trouble

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
random-beaver-shot-rnomatic-not-?-10992454.jpg

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
you don't need to destroy the dam, just enought damage for some water to flow go down a couple inches, they come out and work with they have at hand to repair the damage by pushing up mud or using trees in the dam already because they want to stop the water fast. If the water will freeze over and your neighbor was willing to drop the water level by 1-2 foot after or during freeze up a lot of times they won't survive the lower water, once again not destroying the dam but enough to lower a few feet. Tough decision stabal water levels and trees cut down or lower water to get rid of them. Snares or 330's in the water lanes should aliviate accidental pet catches.
pets, mine and neighbors might be not the best course for a land set or snare.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, but it has been some time ;:;barf

- - - Updated - - -

the dam isn't on my property so I will leave that to the neighbor... I kind of like the stable water level it brings. also if I rip up the damn wouldn't that encourage the bugger to get more trees?

I think the neighbor used 330s last time, in the water.

I assume it was a pair that moved in, so in spring there would be more if I don't get them. The one I took a poke at was fairly big, bigger that the one I got last time. Maybe I got some lead in him and he is dying in their bank hut...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's gotta be a hut nearby. Tell me where the hut is and I'll take every gol darn beaver in there by golly. Serious. They used to call me the beaver slayer back in high school. Serious

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
no beavers this evening, seen that critter run across again, got the scope on it, kitty kat. My flashlight was ineffective to light up much, there was a little beedy set of eyes kept looking at me from the far bank/waters edge. seemed real close together, green tint.

The "hut" is into the bank, at least that is what the neighbor / trapper said... just looks like a pile of sticks, there is another pile of sticks closer to the dam...

The dam is ~40' from a busy highway, so sniping them off the dam during rebuilding efforts may draw attention that I don't want...

I don't think the water is deeper than 3' anywhere thereabouts, I know the kid would wade around shooting frogs with his BB gun when we moved here....

Nice night to sit out there and have a few cold ones...

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
years ago neighbor had beavers destroying his dam that he had for getting across a pond to the back 40.

we (my brother and I) chopped holes and set 220 connibear traps with carrots and apples on for bait near their holes/homes in the dam. got a better bounty from the neighbor than for the fur even.

we cut the holes and put a stick through the rings on the traps to hold them just under the ice and stuck the end in the mud on the bottom. if you can find the entrance to their home then they are easy to catch.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lived near the bank of a river and had beavers take a few of my trees out. It happened quickly, too, over the span of a few days. I finally caught one in the act at sunrise, just before I was heading to work. He was between my home and the river bank. Shot him. Chapter ended. Go about your day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74