best pop up fish house?

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have the 949i. I've only used it on the ice a handful of times, but like everyone else is saying....just anchor it and you're golden. I've also used it a few times as a tent on hunting trips. Two guys with cots, a small table and a lantern....worked wonderful.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of anchors, has anyone tried those "ice angels"? It's the anchor where you drill a hole with your auger (not all the way through) and stick the anchor in the hole.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
seems like a good way to twist up an ankle
I got two of them. And now I know who I'm gunning for when I drill half holes.

Just kidding. I haven't even used them yet. I planned on punching through the rest of the way after use.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of anchors, has anyone tried those "ice angels"? It's the anchor where you drill a hole with your auger (not all the way through) and stick the anchor in the hole.

Something similar. Just wedge a pipe with a rope attached in the hole. Simple, effective, cheap.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
at 28 bucks a pop i can use my cordless drill and the eskimo anchors

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the otter pop ups are new this year?? I am sure they are good otter has very good products, but if you are spearing out of it the otters has a white interior I believe which probably isn't the best for spearing.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have a pair. I modified them - gave them pointier teeth and added bungee cord tensioners at the bottom to make them "spread out" on their own.

Without mods they require some babysitting whilst getting them to grab - and if you let off completely they fall down into hole then lose their bite. ;:;banghead

Now that the bit brace/Eskimo combo has been perfected I won't be using the angels anymore.

Yes - I have stepped in the angel holes. I have also tripped on the Eskimo anchors. This is mostly due to my liking heavy German beers for ice fishing.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a 8 inch auger and wear bigger boots no worries about falling or tripping in half drilled holes:cool:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a 8 inch auger and wear bigger boots no worries about falling or tripping in half drilled holes:cool:

good point

ice angel holes do make excellent ice pirate warning systems BTW

73600.237739.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be a bigger drinker once the boy can drive us home...haha j.k.

Sparky2_1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my 949i last year at scheels
Andrew said I would not regret it and I haven't. I cut a piece of 1/2 treated plywood and use that as a floor. I slide out under after I get it set up and before I anchor it. Dave's on cold feet standing on ice. This house is the best.

Chuckmain

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the clam bigfoot xl6000. I like the extra room, usually pop three holes a side and sit by the door the other guy (or girl) by the other door, double sunflower heater in the middle and 45angle them to each side. Invested in eskimo anchors, clam anchors are garbage. Those adjustable bungees look like the bees knees. Going to have to grab some of those for sure

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks everyone for the advice I now have an eskimo on the way

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119