Best rod holders?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK got my new boat and looking to put a couple rod holders on it. Will mainly be used for trolling cranks, what's everybody using now days? Want something sturdy and easy to get the rods in and out.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rams.

Just get one brand. Recently I was in a boat that was bought used. Three different brands and none worked in the holders.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those Ram holders don't look like they would be sturdy enough for trolling cranks. Any issues when hit by a big pike?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I got my boat this spring, the guy had 4, yes four, different bases on the boat. I still had two scotty holders from my old boat so I paired those up front. The rest of the mount, minus one attwood, got switched out with ram mounts. The attwood will actually take a ram base. I like them so far but haven't put many miles on pulling cranks.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are the best. You will break a rod before you brake a Ram rod holder.

Rams are pretty solid. However, I did have one break while trolling cranks and got snagged up. And in the words of Crappie Killa- "i lost all my new muthafn shit" I'd say that was pretty rare though for the holder to break rather than the rod, also paying a little closer attention would have saved everything as well.

I now got the above mentioned scotty stuff from cabelas and have no complaints with it either.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the record I have not used Ram or Cannon holders but do have the Scotts. You will never break one trolling for walleyes. I troll for muskie with them and have complete confidence in them not breaking.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only Ram that's ever broken in my boat was slammed to the floor by a co-angler when he tried to get a rod out with a fish attached and allowed slack in the line thereby involuntarily releasing said fish.

I've got a fleet of Ram's and think highly of them.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you break any rod holder or rod because of a snag or fish you are doing something seriously wrong!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Ram, Fish-On, and Cabelas. None of them have upset me too much. The Ram does release a rod a bit nicer than the rest when you grab and lift, though.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mrs.. sorry, seen an opening and i took it.

I really like cabelas. But its the only thing ive had the pleasure of using.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you break any rod holder or rod because of a snag or fish you are doing something seriously wrong!

Rod. Gloomis and legends those two brittle bastards r the only rods that break.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the grey colored cabelas to match my grey carpet on the gunnel. They work

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those Ram holders don't look like they would be sturdy enough for trolling cranks. Any issues when hit by a big pike?

i use all ram rod holders and troll a lot... I have never been worried my rod holder is going to break... More worried my rods are going to break before the holder, I've had 40" pike slam cranks and the rod holder doesn't budge but my rod bends all the way down to the reel

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've put dozens of different rod holders into boats over the years. I'm kinda of a rod holder nut, sometimes around 10 in a boat.
I've tried them all, had lots of rams over the years. But for functionality and price a Scotty is hard to beat really. guess thats why they've been around so long.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 103
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33