Best tasting fish?

Goose Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had fresh halibut my cousin caught while fishing in Alaska once.. that stuff was money

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perch caught through the ice with a nice buzz (in March on a day when it is sunny and 50 degrees), cleaned and then fried in lard on the ice, and consumed with a cold beer with family & good friends is really tough to beat.

That must be one hell of a buzz if you think you can make lard fry on ice.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I lived in Salt Lake City I used to cook at a seafood restaurant that was known for serving around 7 to 10 different species of fish at any given time so I have gotten the opportunity to try a variety of different fish. My faves are:

Kokanee Salmon - Without a doubt the best tasting fish I have had the pleasure of putting in my mouth. Sear or grill it to mid rare/medium brush a little butter on top and it just melts in your mouth. It has a more delicate texture than your average farm raised or wild salmon and has a nice soft flavor with a hint of that familiar salmon taste combined with the fresh caught/wild flavor. Best way to describe it is smooth.

Grouper - Meatier fish similar to Halibut and Salmon and has a clean sweet fish flavor would be the best way to describe it. My favorite way to cook Grouper is to roast some hazelnuts in the oven throw em in a blender with a little flour and grind them up to a nice breading consistency. Dip the fillet in egg wash and coat it with the hazelnut mixture and cook till its done.

Walleye/Perch/Bluegill/Northern - 4 way tie, delicate Fillets that taste like fish. Always tastes better when you catch them yourself. My preferred method is beer battered but I like it dusted with flour and fried, coated with shore lunch and fried, even baked or grilled up in some tin foil. Hard to screw up cooking it unless you throw it in the oven and forget it until you hear the smoke detector go off. Out of cold water any one of these species are a great meal. I don't really need to go into details about this one on here but I was on a roll so I kept going.

I could go on but it's getting late and those are the ones that stick out. I think about the only fish I don't like is Swordfish and Mahi Mahi. Swordfish is too dry for my liking and I don't like the flavor of Mahi Mahi.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nd fish ranked in order of flavor. Blue gill, crappie, perch, walleye, pike

blue gill is just so darn flavorful. Tastes preseasoned almost. yummmmm

i grew up by a solid perch lake, I'd go out there after school, catch 1-3 jumbos thru the ice then come home and fry them in straight butter,, nothing else, cook a cup and a half of minute rice, pull out the soy sauce, and devoure. This was supper many nights :) I miss that a bit!

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive caught and eaten a lot of fish species.... best ever was a small swordfish, cut into steaks and cooked on a charcoal hibachi grill with rice and beans on the side in Venezuela ( the last fish of my Super Slam..a blue a white marlin a sail and the sword the same day)... The sword fish was still flopping when steaked, that fresh. Second best was fresh cod cheeks sautéed like walleye cheeks. But favorite of all is Yellow Perch fried in cornmeal like my Mama made me with my first catches as a kid.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Freshwater - Winter crappie, perch, walleye - all close for me
Saltwater - Mahi Mahi is my favorite so far, lots more to try though.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Halibut, perch, crappie, walleye, bluegill. 5 way tie. Dang..now I am hungry and need to pull a package out of the freezer! There is something about cooking fish in a cast iron skillet that is just mouth watering magical!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33