I 8 smelt

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, I think like with any wild game, how carefully you handle it is crucial. With smelt, I'd make sure you wash all the slime off them immediately! I'd get them gutted, heads cut off and washed asap, if not right at the fire. Letting them sit in a bucket all night and not cleaning them asap wouldn't be very smart IMO. They die fast and are full of eggs and milt. They get really stinky fast.

If you take a live smelt and cut it in half, and maybe peal back some skin, look at how nice it looks. Clean em up and deep fat fry em and from I remember they're good. I miss smelting in the spring. I never would have thought the smelt runs would thin out like it has.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the right dipping sauce might be something to go with a fish like this?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes sir. These were cleaned and headless frozen smelt that smelt no different than any other frozen fish product. The smelt never smelt till I started frying them , that's when the smelt really smelt like rotten smelt.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo El Zagel's Shriners used to have a smelt fry in the spring. Not sure if they still do haven't been to it in years. I think they used fresh smelt, breaded and deep fried crispy was pretty good with cole slaw, beans and of course beer!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always say, I don't like fish, but eat the hell out of FRESH walleye. I quit trying to freeze it years ago. Anytime you freeze fish it loses something, and if done wrong just chuck it.

I was shore fishing by a guy from the south one year and he was bragging up drum and catfish. He kept saying he didn't like walleye and that perch were even worse. Then he started catching some of those shit fish and throwing them in a bucket, with no water. And this was in July. To each their own I guess but I can't stand that "fishy" taste.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember early 80's dad and the guys from the Minot VFW going smelting and putting on a fry, I thought they were good , but very rich didn't take many and you were full

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Smelt is highly regarded in Japan and actively fished. People fish for them in the canals of Tokyo and ice fish for them in the mountains. Deep fry with panko. Ive caught them through the ice too out of bordom using micro jigs tipped with a tiny piece of minnow. Id like to net some and do a smelt fry. The ND limit on smelt is by the gallon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84