binoculars with pack

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just getting our gear ready for fall. Will be using larger packs for the first time. Have always used binoculars on a harness....do you recommend hooking them to the pack instead? Am worried about having the harness under the pack straps and it getting uncomfortable. Thoughts?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not suggest hooking them to the pack. If you ever want to stop and glass for a while you more than likely will want to take your pack off. I put my pack over the harness and don't have any issues.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
got my kuiu harness late last year. Had it under my pack, over my coat. Very comfortable and didn't reduce mobility in the least bit. My pack doesn't stay on for long after I've reached my vantage point so I will stick with a harness. If you're dead set on hooking it to your pack, find some elastic material and make your own. I know my pack (badlands super day) has clips on the shoulder straps that I could use. If I wanted to go that direction, I'd buy some elastic rope from Macs and go from there.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a harness with my pack on. I put the pack strap above the harness as already mentioned. I use the Rick Young harness and it works great. Much better than those 1" wide elastic strap ones you get from Scheels and Cabelas.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
So separate harness it is....

So 10X or 12X? Likes/Dislikes?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harness.

10x unless you can swing Alpha 12x and don't mind carrying a tripod. I'm giving serious thought to going 8x for my primary just for the extra FOV and steadiness.

I couldn't use a set of 12x or 15x as my primary. FOV is too narrow, shake and eye strain are significant if not on a tripod or window mount. I've got a set of 15x56 Swaros but I either use them from the truck or bolt them to a tripod.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like binoculars as they help me see things farther away.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a harness with my pack on. I put the pack strap above the harness as already mentioned. I use the Rick Young harness and it works great. Much better than those 1" wide elastic strap ones you get from Scheels and Cabelas.

We will be wearing these with packs quite a bit...thoughts on how the adjustment "knob" would work with a pack on...it appears to be a round slide type thing...wondering if that would be comfortable under a pack...

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
We will be wearing these with packs quite a bit...thoughts on how the adjustment "knob" would work with a pack on...it appears to be a round slide type thing...wondering if that would be comfortable under a pack...

I have quite a bit of time with the Rick Young harness wearing a pack and have never noticed the cord lock when the pack is on. You can wear the harness a few different ways and actually get it setup where the binos aren't "bouncing" with each step.

- - - Updated - - -

What style of hunting are you using the binos for? Packing in, pickup? With or without tripod? Will this be the only pair you own?

For a "do all" I would prefer the 10X over 12X for the additional FOV and reduce the shakiness.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75