bison mows over tourist - handgun saves the day

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
(KFYRTV.com) - A visitor to Theodore Roosevelt National Park was injured by a bison on June 30. According to park official, 65-year-old Michael Turk of Alaska was hiking on the Buckhorn Trail between 9:00 and 10:30 p.m. CDT, where he encountered a bison.

At some point when photographing the bison, it turned toward Turk and charged. He was knocked unconscious and sustained a large laceration on his left inner thigh, along with other injuries.

Full press release:

A visitor was injured by a bison in the North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park on Friday, June 30. Michael Turk, 65, from Juneau, Alaska was hiking on the Buckhorn Trail between 9:00 and 10:30 p.m. CDT to take photos of the sunset. He had encountered a bison on the way to his photo location and gave it a wide berth. He stopped to take additional photos of another bison he encountered while returning to Juniper Campground. Turk recalls that sometime while he was photographing the bison, it turned toward him and charged. He lost consciousness and sustained a large laceration on his left inner thigh in addition to other cuts and bruises.

Turk was able to hike to the trailhead, where he saw another bison. He climbed a short distance up a nearby butte and began calling for help. Hearing Turk’s calls for help, seven campers arrived at the trailhead and found Turk about 50 yards away, with a bison between them. Unable to haze the bison away, one of the campers discharged a handgun into the ground, scaring the bison out of the area. The group helped Turk to the trailhead, dressed his wound, and drove him to meet emergency responders. McKenzie County Sheriff Department and park rangers met the group near the park entrance. McKenzie County Ambulance transported Turk to the hospital. He was treated at McKenzie County Hospital and later released.

Park staff would like to remind the public that bison are large, powerful and fast-moving. Though they may look docile, they are wild animals and may be startled by humans, especially after dark. Park regulations require that visitors stay at least 25 yards away from large animals such as bison, elk, deer, and horses. Visitors are also reminded while it is legal to carry a firearm under certain conditions, it is illegal to discharge one in a national park.

Moosehunter09

Hiker: "Damn nature! You scary! HEEEEELLLLLPPPP MEEEEE"
Armed camper: "somebody's in distress. I. better grab my gun incase we need it"
buffalo: "forget these gys... i could crush them no prob"
campers: "hey buffalo... go away please"
buffalo: "haha. Make me"
Armed camper: "pew pew"
Buffalo: "shit. I better not mess with these guys" (runs away)
hiker: "thanks armed citizen! You saved the day and neither me or the animal died!"
park rangers: "uh, well, um, neatures scary mmkay. Guns are bad mmkay"

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend and I were standing next to the fence watching the Park buffalo. A very large bull had a sore on his back and the flies were eating him. Every time he threw his head back to dislodge them they would simply fly up and right back down into that wound. He was obviously aggravated.

We didn't see the dog from the camp ground come up behind us and then started barking. The bull charged. I ran backward but my partner froze. The bull slid up to the woven wire and then blew snot all over. My friend was a little white in the face and I said you froze. He said nah, he couldn't get me through the fence. I said bullshit you froze. No one would just stand there and let a charging buffalo blow that much snot all over them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did you hand him some TP. I am sure the inner self ran some.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88