Blue Plater Shames the Sport of Hunting... Again

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A big-game hunter from the Twin Cities acknowledged Tuesday that he killed a beloved lion in Zimbabwe with a bow and arrow, but said he regrets what he did and believed that his guides were leading him on a legal hunt.

Walter J. Palmer, 55, of Eden Prairie, a practicing dentist in Bloomington, issued a statement addressing the killing on July 1 of Cecil, which has sparked outrage around the globe.

“I hired several professional guides, and they secured all proper permits,” the statement read. “To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted.

“I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt.”

Palmer, who has on his record a conviction for poaching a bear in Wisconsin several years ago, said he has not been contacted by any authorities in Zimbabwe or the U.S. about his killing the lion, but added he will cooperate with investigators.

more here......

http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-2-to-appear-in-court-for-killing-cecil-the-lion/318828251/

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, what a dick move. They're talking about it on the radio now.
Sounds like it was more or less tame too, that had to be a real challenge.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, what a dick move. They're talking about it on the radio now.
Sounds like it was more or less tame too, that had to be a real challenge.

i see the rumor mill has started.
appears he was comleatly legal.

tame lion, LOL. bet ya could walk up and scratch his ears:;:muahaha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anti-dentite, eh?

that's racist

thatsracist-1.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard about an outfit that was taking clients on leopard hunts and the client would shoot an already dead and frozen leopard. The set-up was that the "Guide or PH" would coach the client by looking through his "bino's" and tell the client, "OK, get ready, the big tom is on the bait, but you will only have a second to shoot when we hit the lights". "Are you ready?" Then these azzhats would turn on the green light for just a second and the client would see the leopard in the tree or whatever, take aim, and at the shot the lights would go out and the PM would say something like "OOOO, IDK about that shot. It might have been good, but we should wait until tomorrow, just to be on the safe side." Trusting the PM, the client would normally say, "Whatever you think" and that was that. By the time they returned the next morning, the cat was thawed out and the client was none the wiser. It took a client to say "BS!!!!!!!!!!!" "I hit that thing good, I'm going to get it" Imagine his surprise to find a frozen leopard on the ground. A guy has to be careful when traveling to go hunting. This dentist may have been dupped on this hunt. Maybe not, but I for one am not going to convict on only one side of the story. I'll leave that kind of thing up to the liberals.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure as rich as he apparently is, he'll weasel out of it.

He had to have known something was up, especially when they were trying to destroy the radio collar the lion was wearing
after they finally caught up to it and shot it with a rifle. He did wound it with a crossbow though, so I guess it still counts.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe this will change some minds

"Palmer pleaded guilty to federal charges in 2008 related to the poaching of a black bear in Wisconsin two years earlier. Palmer and others transported the bear, which was killed 40 miles outside of a legal hunting zone, to a registration station inside the legal area. Palmer was sentenced to one year of probation and fined nearly $3,000."

- - - Updated - - -

more here:
http://www.startribune.com/what-we-know-about-minnesota-dentist-walter-palmer/318943371/

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have read so far I don't see what the Dentist did wrong???

How is he to know what is needed for proper paperwork, or how close he was hunting to the park this animal was living in. From the amount of money he supposedly paid for the hunt it doesn't seem like he thought he was doing something illegal. I could see if he paid some "guide" $1k to shoot this lion he should have known something seemed off, but he paid $50k.

At this point I actually feel bad for him. He makes a living off of providing services. They way the media seems to be twisting this thing he could really lose a lot of business.

If it comes out he was aware of the illegal activity beforehand I'll change my tune. But I haven't seen anything at this point in the reports that would lead me to think this was the case.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see no problem with being a dentist, I could even forgive him for being a serial poacher, but "...from Bloomington, MN"...that's disgusting. String 'im up!!

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
More disturbing news.

He's a ............................................North Dakota Native :(

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have read so far I don't see what the Dentist did wrong???

How is he to know what is needed for proper paperwork, or how close he was hunting to the park this animal was living in. From the amount of money he supposedly paid for the hunt it doesn't seem like he thought he was doing something illegal. I could see if he paid some "guide" $1k to shoot this lion he should have known something seemed off, but he paid $50k.

At this point I actually feel bad for him. He makes a living off of providing services. They way the media seems to be twisting this thing he could really lose a lot of business.

If it comes out he was aware of the illegal activity beforehand I'll change my tune. But I haven't seen anything at this point in the reports that would lead me to think this was the case.

his history with the bear confirms he wants the trophy so much he's willing to lie to the feds

- - - Updated - - -

More disturbing news.

He's a ............................................North Dakota Native :(

WAS a ND native... he's been disowned

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy. just because you've shot a deer/pheasant from your truck window once does not nesassarily mean you'll do it again

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy. just because you've shot a deer/pheasant from your truck window once does not nesassarily mean you'll do it again

seems like shooting, then purposefully moving a bear, then lying to feds is in a different category - shows premeditation

shooting out of the window when young/stupid is in a different league - no planning/purposefulness to that

that's my opinion anyway

not that our opinions matter :D

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. the blue plater thing is just for fun - his address has little to do with it IMO

I just loathe hunters who give ammo to the leftist freaks who want to end hunting

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77