Boat Lifts

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will probably be in the market for a boat lift this summer. Not sure what I need to know before purchasing. Will be for a Lund Impact with a dry weight of 1669 including motor. Lake is in SE ND.

What are your guys thoughts on:
  • Capacity
  • Accessories
  • Brands
  • Dealers
  • New vs. used
What am I missing?

MULEDEER

Established Member
The lifts I have bought are used. You can spend a pile of money on lifts but they all look weathered after a season. A good thing to look for or at is the cables, pivot points, leveling shoes if all looks good go with it. I prefer a motorized lift and solar panel but that's me. Personally I don't think brand matters all the much I have Hewett lift and Newman dock both work fine. Good luck on your search.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
boat lifts are a pain in the ass, you can get used cantilever lifts fairly cheap. vertical lifts not so much. ive bought 3 used boat lifts from 400 to 1000 dollars. all shortmaster cantilever lifts. make sure and get one with wheels, the jacks you run with a impact on the pad legs help alot.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a lift with a tarp. However, you need the boat on it during inclement weather or else the wind will carry it away. We've always had shore master cantilever types. Wheels aren't needed but nice. Two guys can move it out easy enough. Pulling the lift out is much easier with a chain and pickup. Electric winch is the way to go and replacing isn't too bad. We ran an extension cord out to charge the boat and power the winch.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a vertical lift --- the key is the bottom. If its soft cantilver imo is better. Brand --lots of sota brands available. Mine is a porta dock brand ----4k heavy. IMO i would buy used lots of boomers going the toon route and selling boat lifts.

Of course i went the wrong direction bought a toon lift and turned it into a boat lift.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a vertical lift --- the key is the bottom. If its soft cantilver imo is better. Brand --lots of sota brands available. Mine is a porta dock brand ----4k heavy. IMO i would buy used lots of boomers going the toon route and selling boat lifts.

Of course i went the wrong direction bought a toon lift and turned it into a boat lift.
Short, just to clarify...you think go cantilever if the lake has a soft bottom. Why is that?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short, just to clarify...you think go cantilever if the lake has a soft bottom. Why is that?
Maybe i am wrong --- i dont put mine in the water the campground does it (TG) --- but if its off a little (one corner is sunk in the muck) its harder to lift then i have to move it and thats a bitch. Thats just my opinion with my vertical. Mine has ability to have a hole in which you put your electric drill in to raise a particular corner; however the device to raise it was not purchased with it. I will though, my first summer with it last year.

The lake i grew up on the bottom was more solid however it we had spring holes i called them and the lift didnt matter how you sat it (we had cantilevers when i was a kid) no issues..

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I and bunch of us used Hewett in Minnesota with canopy's worked good watch used ones for bad cables. Cranking by hand is not worse or can get solar driven or if can run extension cable out motor driven will spoil you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82