Boat motor question

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 1994 60 hp merc.. Yesterday while moving to a new spot, right as I was throttling down it quit, turns over just fine just will not fire, I changed plugs made sure it's getting fuel, anyone have any idea?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha - everybody does the old kill-switch maneuver once I suppose?

- - - Updated - - -

I hook the kill tether up to my vest when I'm fishing alone and running waters where logs, etc. could be trouble.

I'm usually good for one or two "get up and walk toward the front of the boat while the engine is still running" moves once I've got to my fishing hole - always freaks me out when the engine cuts out suddenly.

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
no kill switch issue that I can see is in the run position. I don't believe I am getting spark to the plugs. I was told to hold plug wire quarter inch from the powerhead and turn over, and you should see spark.. I did that and I don't see anything.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
no kill switch issue that I can see is in the run position. I don't believe I am getting spark to the plugs. I was told to hold plug wire quarter inch from the powerhead and turn over, and you should see spark.. I did that and I don't see anything.

you have to touch the plug to the power head to complete the circuit. you could wrap some non-insulated wire around the threads of the plug with a tail to touch the powerhead/ground point if you need to get it away from the powerhead to see the spark.

Last edited:

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update , so I did get it to fire now starts up and revs way up, so much so that I have to shut it off for fear of blowing it up not sure what that's all about any ideas?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like a throttle issue to me take it to someone that knows what there doing would be my advice

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only time something like that has happened to me I had a chunk of the piston skirt crack off and it rolled around the crankshaft and punched 3 holes in the crankcase allowing in as much air as the damn engine wanted. Machine shop welded it up. Hope is something less interesting than that.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44