Boat Title

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure if we've had a thread on the topic of boat titles before - could not find one? Anyway, paid my boat loan off last month, yesterday got a statement in the mail from the bank stating my loan has been paid off, however our state does not issue ownership titles for boats. When I sold my previous boat, I used the transfer of ownership template from the NDGF to document the sale - the person who bought my old boat and I both signed the document, he then took that signed doc and registered the boat. Just think it is interesting that our state does not have some form of title for boats...RVs might be same way. I suppose the registration acts as proof of ownership.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If its got tires its got a title except some farm stuff. LB

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The boat situation is a bit goofy and has been for as long as I've been buying boats. Everything else, even UTV/ATVs and Snowmobiles go through the NDDOT so they are all title. Boats get handled by the Game & Fish and don't have a title unless you buy them new and then get the MSO for the trailer, boat, and engines. The other thing to note, if you buy a used boat from a private individual, there is no sales tax! On the high dollar boats of today, this really puts the dealerships at a disadvantage in competing in the used market since they have to charge the state required 5%, that's $4k on a $80k rig which isn't hard to find these days!

The other thing I notice is the way the game and fish handles registration, it would be super easy to steal a boat and get it registered in your name showing you as the owner. apparently this isn't a problem otherwise I would assume they wouldn't tighten this up by now.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s done this way to help fund the game and fish. I can see that changing in the not too distant future for multiple reasons. Some of which were posted above already

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Must be due to the fact boats go thru NDGF as opposed to everything else going thru NDDOT.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure if we've had a thread on the topic of boat titles before - could not find one? Anyway, paid my boat loan off last month, yesterday got a statement in the mail from the bank stating my loan has been paid off, however our state does not issue ownership titles for boats. When I sold my previous boat, I used the transfer of ownership template from the NDGF to document the sale - the person who bought my old boat and I both signed the document, he then took that signed doc and registered the boat. Just think it is interesting that our state does not have some form of title for boats...RVs might be same way. I suppose the registration acts as proof of ownership.
I like it that way in ND because it makes it easy to buy and sell boats.

In WY you need a notarized title AND a notarized bill of sale. Huge pain in the butt to deal with. On top of that you have to pay tax and title on the boat and trailer before you even go to license it. Old boat trailers are the worst because of course they have no vin or serial number.

You have it so good in ND!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those poor, disadvantaged dealerships! If there is a change made, the solution better be to stop double taxation completely rather than impose the sales tax on private sales too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84