Boat trailer emergency brake

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had someone unhook shorelander boat trailer
he forgot to unhook the emergency brake cable . It got pulled out of the hitch , how hard is it to put back in ?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had someone unhook shorelander boat trailer
he forgot to unhook the emergency brake cable . It got pulled out of the hitch , how hard is it to put back in ?
Those on the trailer only work if there is a battery attached to it. if there is a battery remove the cables and the brakes should release

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those on the trailer only work if there is a battery attached to it. if there is a battery remove the cables and the brakes should release
If I understand correctly the cable is broken or at least detached from the trailer because his buddy tried towing the trailer with only that small cable.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Skeeter trailer has an Inertial Hitch that hydraulically applies disc brakes to the wheels when you are stopping and it also has an emergency brake cable (guessing it releases a spring that will allow hydraulic pressure to be applied). Once activated there is a procedure for resetting it. When I am out in the garage later on, I will look for the trailer manual and post relevant information. Better yet, go online and check for yourself.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Totally depends on the style of brakes. Are they electric or surge (hydraulic) where they get activated as the hitch gets compressed?

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the cable gets pulled, it releases the surge brake from the electric solenoid and sets the brakes permanently. There is a release tab underneath the hitch that you push up on and it will release the brakes so you can move the trailer afterwards. The replacement process is fairly easy with instructions for someone that is mildly adept with tools. A marine mechanic will knock it out in 30 mins or less. Google the instructions for your particular kind of coupler.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
The trailer has surge brakes , I’m not around the trailer. He borrowed my boat and forgot to take the cable off and drove away . He called me and told me he heard something when pulling away from the trailer but thought the ball scraped the coupler . He drug the cable for 2 hours and I’m not sure what it looks like . I’m working 3 hours away from the boat . That’s why I’m asking as I will have to try and figure it out as he’s not mechanical at all

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The trailer has surge brakes , I’m not around the trailer. He borrowed my boat and forgot to take the cable off and drove away . He called me and told me he heard something when pulling away from the trailer but thought the ball scraped the coupler . He drug the cable for 2 hours and I’m not sure what it looks like . I’m working 3 hours away from the boat . That’s why I’m asking as I will have to try and figure it out as he’s not mechanical at all
https://brakes4trailers.com/product...qZiiCd_Xxdvq2QEme8FxuNlJd2qDHEThoCoVwQAvD_BwE

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What type of trailer/boat? Ranger/ranger trailer, Yar craft, skeeter etc… this info could help us help you. I believe some have a pin that it pulls and isn’t to bad to fix.

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
What type of trailer/boat? Ranger/ranger trailer, Yar craft, skeeter etc… this info could help us help you. I believe some have a pin that it pulls and isn’t to bad to fix.
It’s a shorelander trailer.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a surge brake on mine. I pulled the emergency cable, which locked the surge brake. Next time I hooked up an pulled forward, the brake disengaged and now works normally the way all surge brakes work. I slow down it engages, I speed up it disengages. Need to have it hooked up to power to back up.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s a shorelander trailer.
Depending on the tongue you should be able to replace the cable. Contact shorelander directly with vin and they can get you the correct cable or atleast get you in contact with the manufacturer. Probably UFP or tie down engineering. The cable from my understanding is a bitch to replace but it can be done.
Link below shows an example. You will need to find the correct one...manufacturer can find that with the Vin. Ufp is also Dexter from my understanding but best place to start is the manufacturer of the trailer. Images on link also show how to replace it....also a video

https://www.bakesonline.com/trailer-emergency-break-away-cable-ufp.html

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the tongue you should be able to replace the cable. Contact shorelander directly with vin and they can get you the correct cable or atleast get you in contact with the manufacturer. Probably UFP or tie down engineering. The cable from my understanding is a bitch to replace but it can be done.
Link below shows an example. You will need to find the correct one...manufacturer can find that with the Vin. Ufp is also Dexter from my understanding but best place to start is the manufacturer of the trailer. Images on link also show how to replace it....also a video

https://www.bakesonline.com/trailer-emergency-break-away-cable-ufp.html
Thank you !!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 107
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33