Bow Talk

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys all use for a release and sight?

I personally switched to an adjustable single pin and a hand held release and will never go back to multiple pins and a wrist strap. I love the sight picture of a single pin. So much less clutter. I gained a lot of accuracy with the switch. I definitely shoot better with a hand held as I started shooting personal bests at 3-d events.

My sight on both bows is an HHA single pin and I use a Carter or Scott hand held with thumb release. I have tried the back tension for 3-d, but find I don't shoot as well.

why do you think you improved so much? The mechanics of the situation suggests that a wrist strap takes body parts out of influence of the arrow (the hand/wrist)

I assume you shoot a d-loop

just curious really - I shoot a wrist strap now, but I have shot nearly anything they ever made over the 30 years I've been shooting - including lots of barebow competition

- - - Updated - - -

I too have a stack of glo-pins from 30-70 - it's quite the tower of power - it makes me feel like I'm a racer lol

screen320x480.jpeg

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
why do you think you improved so much? The mechanics of the situation suggests that a wrist strap takes body parts out of influence of the arrow (the hand/wrist)

I assume you shoot a d-loop

just curious really - I shoot a wrist strap now, but I have shot nearly anything they ever made over the 30 years I've been shooting - including lots of barebow competition

- - - Updated - - -

I too have a stack of glo-pins from 30-70 - it's quite the tower of power - it makes me feel like I'm a racer lol

screen320x480.jpeg

I think it was a combo of both single pin and the hand held that improved my scores. With regard to the hand held, I think it gives me better form and shot control. With the wrist release I was so focused on timing of pulling the trigger and floating the pin, I think I got jumpy at times. With the hand held thumb button, I shoot it a bit differently. I bury the button in my thumb knuckle and then actually squeeze with my ring finger forcing the thumb peg into my the knuckle. I think it has really helped me focus more on my aiming, since I am doing a slow squeeze with my fingers. I anticipate the shot less and just let it happen. Also, I think it made me truly focus on my follow through.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot lots of league and 3D back in the 80s and did pretty well

I have found that I no longer have the patience for shooting teeny/tiny groups - I just pull the trigger when the right pin goes wandering past the desired POI - ha ha ha - very sloppy approach I know

works for me though - I shoot surprisingly good groups using this rag tag approach

Why? I believe it more accurately represents hunting condition shots for me. I am rarely if ever rested, calm and steadied for a bow shot in the field. I've usually been crawling, sitting/kneeling in some horrible freaking position, calling, just cresting a hill, stalking a mulie in 40 mph wind so I can get close whilst being clumsy, etc... so my pin is NEVER so stationary that I have the luxury of slowly squeezing it off like a bench rifle and being surprised by the shot - I just tap the trigger when it drifts through the good spot. Maybe my 10 plus barebow years has just crept back in to dominate my brain - I don't know.

Keep in mind that I've never once been bowhunting up in a tree - so my experiences are all spot/stalk/calling - all my antelope and deer kills were ground shots where nothing ever seems perfect for shooting.

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys all use for a release and sight?

I personally switched to an adjustable single pin and a hand held release and will never go back to multiple pins and a wrist strap. I love the sight picture of a single pin. So much less clutter. I gained a lot of accuracy with the switch. I definitely shoot better with a hand held as I started shooting personal bests at 3-d events.

My sight on both bows is an HHA single pin and I use a Carter or Scott hand held with thumb release. I have tried the back tension for 3-d, but find I don't shoot as well.

my release is a scott little goose wrist strap style and I switched from the spott hogg 7 pin sight to a black gold pure gold 3 pin slider this year, so far the slider is nice, I got the light for it too since this year we can have a light on our sight

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
my release is a scott little goose wrist strap style and I switched from the spott hogg 7 pin sight to a black gold pure gold 3 pin slider this year, so far the slider is nice, I got the light for it too since this year we can have a light on our sight

From the 2017 Proclamation:

Deer Bow Season--Section 1b: A compound bow used for hunting deer must have at least 35 pounds of
draw at 28 inches or less draw length. Recurve and long bows used for hunting deer must have at
least 35 pounds of draw at 28 inches. Arrows must be at least 24 inches long, tipped with a metal
broadhead, with at least two sharp cutting edges, and have a cutting diameter of at least ¾ inch
(i.e., not able to pass through a¾ inch ring.). It is illegal to hunt big game with barbed arrows.
Broadheads with mechanical or retractable blades not manufactured to stay open are legal.
Telescopic sights, range finding devices, battery-powered or electronically lighted sights or other
electronic devices attached to the bow, or the arrow, are not permitted. Exception: a lighted nock
and recording devices which do not aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow are
permitted. Handheld range finding devices are legal. When permitted, crossbows must: a) have a
peak draw weight of at least 75 pounds, b) be equipped with a working safety to prevent accidental
firing, c) have a stock at least 14 inches long, d) use arrows or bolts at least 14 inches in
length, e) Battery-powered and electronic-lighted sight pins and telescopic sights not exceeding a
maximum power of four by thirty­ two millimeters may be attached to crossbows used for hunting, and
f) crossbow hunters must comply with all other archery equipment regulations listed above.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmm... there was some legislation earlier this year that supposedly changed that maybe it has not gone into effect yet

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you are correct!! I would love to have a light on my sights. Maybe next year?

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just called game and fish and the first person on the phone said she thinks i am right but sent me to someone else and i had to leave a message

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No lights on the sights. The change was to allow cameras to be attached to the bow with more people filming their hunts.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just bought a brand new Hoyt Powermax. It's rated at 328 IBO, but I'm only pulling 55 pounds with a 525 grain arrow which puts it right around 230 fps.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am using a Scott Little Goose as well. Axcel 5 pin sight with .10 pins. I practice out to 60 regularly and the smaller pins really help at longer distances.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3