Bunk Board Replacement

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 16 Lund with a bunk trailer and the 13 year old bunks need replacing. The fasteners broke on one bunk and it fell off the bracket this year and scratched the crap out of my hull. I was looking at the ultimate bunk boards for a replacement but was hoping for first hand experience with them on riveted hull boats Or recommendations on replacements.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just replaced my bunks 2.5 years ago in the spring during the early stages of pandemic. I used 2 × 6 Green treat and this was for a Ranger 620

Freedom

★ Legendary Member
Got a 14 ft Lund sitting on two 2x4s with plastic rain gutter covers, slides off nice and easy. Would definitely go the plastic route be it ultimate bunk boards or some redneck engineering

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My concern is if the plastic boards will be harder on the rivets since they don't have as much cushion as carpet. It wouldn't concern me if I could approach the trailer straight on each time but fishing the river up north I usually have to approach up current and swing the boat onto the bunks. I can't use green treated boards with an aluminum boat from my understanding and it is close to 9' between the support arms for the bunks so i would need something strong to span that distance.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Carpet doesn't stay "cushy" for long on a bunk so I wouldn't worry about that, but seems like you could always add carpet to the Ultimate boards if you wanted to. Might not be a bad idea if you like a little grip on the bunk to keep from sliding back as HDPE is very slick as noted on their website, especially when wet.

Looks like they also recommend the Supreme (aluminum stiffener beneath the HDPE board) for spans over 4 ft.

Have you dissected the old bunks to see if there is a direct replacement or something you could replicate?

You might also contact the Ultimate board manufacturer directly. Some still provide good support if you ask for help.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carpet doesn't stay "cushy" for long on a bunk so I wouldn't worry about that, but seems like you could always add carpet to the Ultimate boards if you wanted to. Might not be a bad idea if you like a little grip on the bunk to keep from sliding back as HDPE is very slick as noted on their website, especially when wet.

Looks like they also recommend the Supreme (aluminum stiffener beneath the HDPE board) for spans over 4 ft.

Have you dissected the old bunks to see if there is a direct replacement or something you could replicate?

You might also contact the Ultimate board manufacturer directly. Some still provide good support if you ask for help.
The bunks currently are 2x6's and i think lund uses cypress but i'm not positive. I picked up some cedar boards to use as a replacements before I heard about the ultimate bunk boards. The guy I talked to used them on his pontoon trailer and liked them but I was hoping for feedback for a riveted boat and if the rivets caught or caused any weird wear patterns. I should call but I have a distrust for companies sometimes as they like to promote their product and it seems like very few companies will actually tell you if their product wouldn't work, but that still may be my best bet to just call them.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the reviews show them causing no problems with rivets, but I have no personal experience. Did a lot of research on them when my last boat needed new ones and would have got them, but ended up getting a good deal on carpeted from pacific trailer.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the same predicament, however am willing to pay for someone to just do it for me.
Any place a guy knows of that I can get this done?

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The bunks currently are 2x6's and i think lund uses cypress but i'm not positive. I picked up some cedar boards to use as a replacements before I heard about the ultimate bunk boards. The guy I talked to used them on his pontoon trailer and liked them but I was hoping for feedback for a riveted boat and if the rivets caught or caused any weird wear patterns. I should call but I have a distrust for companies sometimes as they like to promote their product and it seems like very few companies will actually tell you if their product wouldn't work, but that still may be my best bet to just call them.
Doesn't happen often, but it's frustrating to hear something could have gone better when I never got a phone call. Agree that most manufacturers aren't helpful, but some of us still take pride in service. At least give them a chance to help you.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pressure treated Grade A Cypress is what few of my buddies used on their Lund aluminum boat with rivets. I just never had any issues with rollers on all my Lunds. Most of guys have fancy glitter glass boats so need support.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71