Bunk Board Replacement

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it is micronized copper then it would be galvanic if in contact with aluminum. If it’s CCA or some other copper ion solution it would just be general corrosion.
Jeezus christ this is funny shit.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So do I avoid treated lumbar on my aluminum boat?
Lol..I would if it was me with zero worries... carpet the bunks. If anybody says other wise ask them to show you pictures where it created corrosion to their boat.... should have stripes down the hull if it did. Ha
I would be more worried about the galvanic corrosion between the bunks and the trailer then I would the bunks and the boat. Stainless steel fastners foresure. Make sure no treated lumber touching bare metal on the trailer. Make sure it's all coated and you will be fine.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a sheet of marine grade plywood and layer to make bunks. Carpet and be done with it. No worries about galvanic or semantic or pelagic corrosion at that point!

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a sheet of marine grade plywood and layer to make bunks. Carpet and be done with it. No worries about galvanic or semantic or pelagic corrosion at that point!
Or just use 2x4 or 2x6 green treat boards carpet and not worry about it.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boat trailer about rusted out. I found a new to me trailer last winter (first pic) and did a bunch of grinding, cutting, welding, and sandblasting. I gave the trailer two good coats of herculiner and used the spray can herculiner in the really tight corners. I redid the bunks and went with cedar. The brackets came from eBay. Second pic is after the overhaul. After a few adjustments to the brackets and loading/unloading the boat a few times, it's ready to go.
1000003025.jpg

1000003023.jpg

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My boat trailer about rusted out. I found a new to me trailer last winter (first pic) and did a bunch of grinding, cutting, welding, and sandblasting. I gave the trailer two good coats of herculiner and used the spray can herculiner in the really tight corners. I redid the bunks and went with cedar. The brackets came from eBay. Second pic is after the overhaul. After a few adjustments to the brackets and loading/unloading the boat a few times, it's ready to go.
1000003025.jpg

1000003023.jpg
Looks good!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90