Cabos San Lucas fishing

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be heading down south in a couple weeks for an 8 day vacation. Mrs johnr another couple and myself will be spending one of these days on a fishing trip, looking for anyone that might have fished out of Cabo and would be willing to give me a heads up on which guide to use, or species to target this time of year, etc.

Thanks

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Johnr Must of raised your clients insurance premiums last year cha ching$:;:howdy

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
wear sunscreen

- - - Updated - - -

have fun too - you lucky dog Thumbs Up

I am sure I will be placing a snorkel with the germs of 10,000 other jackasses into my mouth at some point too, however intend to keep my system defunkified with ample amounts of Mexican tequila, and Cuban cigars.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recommend a good pair of mirrored sun glasses, southern comfort and your favorite pair of banana hammocks.

Nevermind, looks like you're already on it.

1411286338_1387530420_11yeti2_57gr.gif

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure I will be placing a snorkel with the germs of 10,000 other jackasses into my mouth at some point too, however intend to keep my system defunkified with ample amounts of Mexican tequila, and Cuban cigars.

have a bartender pour you a 50-50 mix of these two on the rocks

it's my latest jones - 10/10 in my book

then again I like truffle salt

domaine.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Red rum sport fishing.

Best there is down there. American owned and they know how to put you on fish. I've been there multiple times and so have many others from the old fbo

If you call ahead they may be able to pack some Mexican vanilla with your lunch.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe some skeeter repellant as well, I hear there is a new threat about to cross the border.

I would be curious who has ever had a skeet bite south of the border? Especially on that side of the country. I have been deep in the jungles of belize and mx nothing not a bite --- lots of big bugs but no skeeters. Maybe KDM can shed some light.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
To many variables to go into shorthairs. Belize has some major mosquito issues normally. Dengue, Malaria, Chikungunya, Yellow Fever are all quite common from southern Mexico though central and South America to include Cabo. You may have been there between the adult generations or were there right after a significant rain event that knocked out a goodly portion of the larval stages. Either way, I'm happy to hear about your fortuitous experiences in Belize. Cabo as well as the other parts of Mexico on the same latitude have enough mosquitoes and vector borne diseases that I'd be concerned. It doesn't hurt to have some repellent and not need it than the other way around. I'd check with the CDC for the latest reports and warnings before traveling to Cabo. Just to be well informed on what you are getting into. Have Fun and catch a bunch!!! Oh and pics would be nice too!!!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to an in-law destination wedding there in November 2014. My advice is to shop around. Do get suckered in to the first guy offering a trip. We went through a guy a this little booth on the marina. We paid half of what some other people we knew paid. We also fished out of an older boat. We did catch a lot of fish though. It was a blast. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, idk if I would buy very many "live bait". They are used to pitch out after the first fish is hooked up on fake bait. We thought we should have a couple dozen and only needed 6 ish in the end.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drug cartels and now a new disease infested mosquitoes. I like my wife's idea of going to Alaska I will take my chances with the brown bears.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I are going on a gulf cruise with stops in Mexico, Belize and Roatan Honduras in a couple months and have been getting warning E-mails from the cruise line with link to keep track of things through the CDC as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to gordo le le's restaurant too. Do u have Facebook Juan?

No fagbook, I think the mosquito thing is for pregnant lady's. Either way I'm one tough old piece of shit, my blood is not desired by blood suckers

- - - Updated - - -

Drug cartels and now a new disease infested mosquitoes. I like my wife's idea of going to Alaska I will take my chances with the brown bears.

Pussy....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No fagbook, I think the mosquito thing is for pregnant lady's. Either way I'm one tough old piece of shit, my blood is not desired by blood suckers

- - - Updated - - -

Pussy....

I am on concrete pours daily so I get enough of Mexico all year round. I like mountains.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
2nd vote for Red Rum. Fished down there last February, which is the slowest month of the year for both the Pacific and Cortez. They put us on 5 chasing marlin, no takers. But pitching a live bait at a big ass billfish that's 20 yards from the boat is an effin' thrill. Dorado weren't cooperating either. Got back to the marina, told the owner we were bummed that we didn't catch a few for the grill. She went to the back and grabbed us a couple vacuum sealed packs of fresh dorado. So delicious. Can't say enough about the customer service at Red Rum.

Ended up going out another day with a fly fishing guide that put me on some Sierra mackerel. Holy crap. Hit like a freight train, drag screaming like a banshee. Saltwater fish are strong

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple coworkers are going to Cabo the 7th to the 12th of February, they booked a charter through Piesces.

sparetire

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be able to find the company we went with if I dig a little, I'll look later. We had a choice between a half-day trip or an all-day trip. The advice of the guy selling the trip was of course to book the all-day affair, because he said that way we could go further offshore, to an area where the fish were known to be biting. I think we boated 4 marlin, and probably could have picked up more, but the wife was seasick. I didn't like the fact that the guides threw the bait out and enticed the bite and hooked the fish, then handed over the rod to fight the fish. Seems to me the most exciting part is the bite. Well, I guess when those big fish made runs and jumped clear of the water, that was cool, too. I think most of the guides will give you the straight report on what's biting and what to target, as they want you to succeed, both to earn good tips but also to attract more business. TripAdvisor.com is another great resource for finding ratings of guides.

If you like real Mexican food, Los Tres Gallos is a must. Otherwise the food (and everything else) is fairly Americanized in Cabo.

It gets chilly at night there, something I wasn't prepared for. A night hanging out at Cabo Blue Bar enjoying their rainbow shots is a good time, but have a light jacket along. They brought blankets around when I was there, but I wasn't sure just where those blankets had been. Even with those we were cold, but having too much fun to leave.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 67