Camper Ignorant.....What do I need to know?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering our 1st camper. Neither the wife nor I are "campers". This is going to be something parked in a campground on Devils that doesn't move once set up. The idea is more family time, easier to get the kiddos in the boat on shorter fishing trips because there'd be a place to go if they get tired of being in the boat.

I've got a pretty good idea where we want to put it, I just don't know jack-squat about campers. My idea is something in the age range from 2000-2010ish. What does a person need to be concerned about and/or look at closely in a used camper?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
You looking at getting a 5th wheel or travel trailer? 5th wheels are nice for pulling and storage, but if your going to leave it at a campground all year then you may like a travel trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

Biggest issue is make sure the roof don't leak and everything is in good working order. If your going to put it up on Devils you might want to look at some of the dealers up in that area. They usually will bring it in and set it up for you at no charge, and if something does go haywire you got someone relatively close to come and fix the problem.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaning towards trade trailer right now. If the opportunity to get more for my $$ came up and it was 5th wheel that'd be fine too. This will be our trial run with a camper.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a lot of options for a travel trailer out there. My advice would be get something a little bigger than you think you need...especially on a travel trailer. The storage on them is pretty bad, can't store anything of size due to the small compartment doors. I have a 32' travel and it has worked for the wife and I really well, only complaint is the small bathroom. I have to put vaseline on the door frame just to get into the bathroom. :::

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with a good tent to start with and remember the first rule of camping... There are no bugs!

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can afford, buy one with one or two slide outs. It will make your life a whole lot easier with more room to move around. Other thing I'd ask (besides roof/leaking issues) is how the person before you winterized it (if you can find that out). Make sure they took proper precautions and winterized the water heater and water lines properly. If its something you never plan on moving, then maybe getting one with a sliding glass door would be a nice luxury as well where you can someday build a deck on the outside of it. And yes, a bit bigger bathroom is a nice luxury as well. Some campers have such tiny bathrooms and LOVE2HNT is right, you need suck in the beer belly as much as possible to get into it :;:cheers

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other thing I'd ask (besides roof/leaking issues) is how the person before you winterized it (if you can find that out). Make sure they took proper precautions and winterized the water heater and water lines properly.

This is the sort of info I'm looking for. Roof leaks, water lines, what else does a person need to be cautious of when buying used?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the floor waves to you when you walk in, walk away. If it smells musty, walk away. See if all the widows work and have screens. Check all the seals on the compartment doors and make sure the locks work. Make sure the AC blows COLD air, heater works, water heater works, fridge and freezer work, range/oven work. Also roll out the canopy if it has one and make sure there is no holes or tears...they get spendy to replace.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
check the gas lines, you can usually smell if there is a leak, run everything from the stove to the AC flush the toilet, run the slide outs in and out, anything that moves needs to be tested. Look for signs of rodents in the light fixtures, seems them little bastards like to dig in the ceiling and usually will leave evidence in the lights. Run water through the entire system to find any leaks, if your water pump runs for even one second with no faucets open that means there is a leak somewhere.

Check the tires, the roof, the windows, anything that might be worn out.

Maybe the best bet is to buy from a dealer, usually comes with some guarantees, and they would have gone through it pretty good.

Then have fun, my family spends close to every weekend, and more in the camper during the season, my kids love it more than I do. It is a great family activity that I really feel sorry for the kids that don't get to experience.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check EVERYTHING for faults while the camper is still at the dealership. Put some water in the fresh tank and test the water system pump and lines. Slide outs are commonly troublesome. So are batteries,generators, refrigerators, AC, & water and drain line connections. Do the stove burners and oven light easily and does the microwave work? Large campers have electric brakes. Is a controller for your tow vehicle built in or included in the purchase? Do the camper's brakes actually work? Open a cupboard and watch the water pump for leaks, Inspect the sewer drain hose and connections. Is there a built-in spray for rinsing the black water tank? Go up on the roof and carefully inspect the caulking. If it's not somewhat pliable, it will soon crack and leak. How are the tires? If a 5th wheel, will it be level when being towed? If it's a flat trailer, is there an equalizing hitch? Is there ANY evidence of rodent intrusion? If they got in once, they will again.

We have a camper that fits in the pickup box because we travel with it. But they have the same problems any RV has. 20+ years of camper ownership has taught us a few lessons the hard way (trial and error).

Read owner's forums at RV.net, NATCOA.com (a truck camper website), Lance Owner's of America, etc. Potential problems will be addressed in owner's forums.
I'd look for a camper with a cold weather package. The thermopane windows and extra wall insulation helps for heat as much as for cold. The industry standard for "Four Season" certification is meaningful, but so called "cold" or "arctic" packages are maker's trademarks, not industry standards.
If you won't be using the RV for a few days, drain everything. Once the chlorine has evaporated from water, sulfur bacteria will make any water left in the system (lines, tanks, and water heater) smell bad. Never leave anything in the grey or black water tanks while it RV is sitting idle.

JerryV

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest problem I have seen with older campers is that the weight of the air conditioner makes the roof sag. Then water pools on the roof and it is going to get through. Just a matter of time.

Jerry

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bunks in the back for the kids. It is nice when it is raining outside and past bed time for the kids to be able to sit in the main room without the kids on the couch and table. Everything mentioned above is also good advice.

Biglunch

Founding Member
Founding Member
A coworker of mine has one for sale on a permanent spot on devils lake PM me if your interested

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11