cancer

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
About 7 years ago i schedule to have them shove a rod up my butt and take 12 snipes off my prostate. Doc there said i should not be doing this. In fact, after i was given a shot to stop pain he still said not to do this. But i took him to go ahead. No cancer. However, i blood for a month after that and i feel i did more damage than good. Told me at my age 70, at that time, never to check my numbers again. Said those snipes may not have been where the cancer was if i had it anyways. At my age one's life expectance is short. I told him i had another 25 years.

Now at age 76 i have been getting a lot of back and rump pain which my come from prostate cancer (according to internet). Not sure what to do but at this point nothing. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The PET scan is weird. Had one about 4 months ago at Essentia in Fargo. Give you an IV with radioactive juice and then you set in a dark room for an hour or so then they run you through the big scan tunnel so slow its hard to tell your moving. LB

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

My PSA went from 24 - 52 - 96 all within a years time. Biopsy (12 samples) each came back with a Gleason score of 9. Bone and body scans don't show any spread to bones or internal organs at this point but I am scheduled for a PET SCAN in Fargo next week. I'm not looking forward to the drive but Bismarck doesn't have the equipment.
is surgery not an option?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not had a recent biopsy but I am guessing that might be in the future if the PSA continues to rise.
Urinary infections can cause your PSA’s to rise. They ran me through a months worth of antibiotics to see if they drop. They didn’t so I decided I wanted a biopsy. Good thing I did. Does your doctor say your prostate is still enlarged?

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been told by a few Dr that most men will die of old age before Prostate cancer will kill them. I had a biopsy and was on Flomax to shrink my Prostate. Then one morning I couldn't pee. After about 6 hr and not being able to relieve myself I went to a walk in clinic. They took care of the problem and I went in for surgery and they hollowed out my Prostate. No more problems peeing. I pee like I was 20 yrs old.

So if you guys are having problems relieving yourself go to the Dr and get it taken care of. You will thank me later. If the Dr had told me one day you will not be able to pee and need surgery I would have said. Ya right won't happen to me.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Urinary infections can cause your PSA’s to rise. They ran me through a months worth of antibiotics to see if they drop. They didn’t so I decided I wanted a biopsy. Good thing I did. Does your doctor say your prostate is still enlarged?
The only recent checking has been via PSA blood tests so if it continues to climb, I will have to see the urologist. Until then, everything seems to be working fine (for an old man). LOL

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My PSA went from 24 - 52 - 96 all within a years time. Biopsy (12 samples) each came back with a Gleason score of 9. Bone and body scans don't show any spread to bones or internal organs at this point but I am scheduled for a PET SCAN in Fargo next week. I'm not looking forward to the drive but Bismarck doesn't have the equipment.
Bismarck can't do a PET scan????
Hard to believe in this day and age.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been told by a few Dr that most men will die of old age before Prostate cancer will kill them. I had a biopsy and was on Flomax to shrink my Prostate. Then one morning I couldn't pee. After about 6 hr and not being able to relieve myself I went to a walk in clinic. They took care of the problem and I went in for surgery and they hollowed out my Prostate. No more problems peeing. I pee like I was 20 yrs old.

So if you guys are having problems relieving yourself go to the Dr and get it taken care of. You will thank me later. If the Dr had told me one day you will not be able to pee and need surgery I would have said. Ya right won't happen to me.
So how painful was the reaming during and after?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member

That’s 100% determine by what age you get prostate cancer and what type of cancer cells they are. If you 75 and have non aggressive cancer cells then yes you’ll die of old age first. It isn’t the cancer in the prostate that kills you it’s when those cells move to the lymph nodes in that area. Then it’s game over

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That’s 100% determine by what age you get prostate cancer and what type of cancer cells they are. If you 75 and have non aggressive cancer cells then yes you’ll die of old age first. It isn’t the cancer in the prostate that kills you it’s when those cells move to the lymph nodes in that area. Then it’s game over
That is why I said most men. I know lots of guys that have there Prostate taken care of. I do not know anyone that has died from Prostate cancer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is why I said most men. I know lots of guys that have there Prostate taken care of. I do not know anyone that has died from Prostate cancer.
I know several. One was like 58 I believe. The rest were in their early to mid 70’s. Now days with the divinci robotic surgery it’s a really simply surgery with a short healing time. The key to it is what kind of shape the person is in physically.

Happycamper

Honored Member
Well, it's hunting season. Everything else including this cancer takes a back seat. I don't chase the dogs anymore but someone still needs to cook, clean up the backstraps and maintain the cabin.
PS, I feel good. Thanks for the well wishes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80