Canned Pheasant

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that looks good. "Canned meat" just doesn't sound good.

ha ha ha... agreed - the name is not appetizing

worse yet is the name "potted meats" - yeesh!

meatprod-sm.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I ate my share of vienna sausage back in the day - they were popular in work lunch boxes too in the 70s

now two-layer sardines?? - that's delicious!

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we had a guest for dinner - so to supplement I had a few leftover brined legs that I didn't have room to can

so I dropped them into a crock pot with some water and a little chicken stock in the morning and cooked them all dang day

when I tried to bone them they were pretty tough/dry with "meh" flavor - I didn't even add them to the meal I was so turned off

that pressure cooking is just amazing - the magic doesn't make sense

speaking of magic - the vacuum on the jars is so extreme after canning that after you set the jars on the rack to cool they keep boiling for like 20 minutes. crazy.... jars of meat/liquid percolating away on the counter top even when they've cooled enough to pick up by hand

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That looks pretty good Guy. I can't think of anything to say about penises.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old Guy Tip: If your company has a "white elephant" gift exchange that includes wacky gifts you should try a "potted meat variety pack".

Everyone freaks out (grossed out and laughing) about it when it's unwrapped. There are some guys who will "steal it" amazingly.

Asian stores are a great place to find bizarre varieties if your standard store lacks gusto.

I did that one year and now it's legend

I took it home that night because the ultimate recipient didn't want them. I ate most of them - most were decent enough on crackers - some were entirely inedible

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
still pack Vienna sausages into a thermos filled with hot noodle soup. Great warm up energy while bow hunting in the frigid months.:)

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the saying goes " I cant hit the bottom of the tuna can but I can rub the sides" :;:sorry was thinking of the canned meat issue and this came to mind.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've kept my mouth shut on this too long. You guys are completely missing out. Pressure canned meat is where it's at. Absolutely nothing bad about it. The pressure canning inflicts tenderness and flavor on cuts of meat most would throw in the garbage. And it's not a joke. I will take canned venison (which I've never done but ate) or canned pheasant thighs (which I've had) or canned pike (also had and done) over 90% of most folks wild game table fare any day of the week. I commend your skill and willingness to step out of the crate guy!kudos.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've kept my mouth shut on this too long. You guys are completely missing out. Pressure canned meat is where it's at. Absolutely nothing bad about it. The pressure canning inflicts tenderness and flavor on cuts of meat most would throw in the garbage. And it's not a joke. I will take canned venison (which I've never done but ate) or canned pheasant thighs (which I've had) or canned pike (also had and done) over 90% of most folks wild game table fare any day of the week. I commend your skill and willingness to step out of the crate guy!kudos.

Where the hell were you 29 posts ago? LOL

I don't know enough yet about wild table fare to venture into canning, but guywhoknowsmorethanme has me convinced that there's more to life than venison, pheasant and beer.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
not sure why I listened to galwhofishes when she told me they don't make pint and a half jars - they do and they're dang near perfect.

so just because grandma and mom didn't have or use pint and a half size doesn't mean they don't make them!

grrrr.... they are the perfect size for family meals IMO ;:;banghead

I now have two cases.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any stovetop cooker/canner should be good. They make electrics but I've never tried one. I got mine at Home of Economy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah - just about any decent brand will do

get one with a pressure gauge so you can monitor what's happening - 15lb pressure canning times are sometimes shorter if that matters

get a "big one" so you can do lots of jars so you don't have to run a bunch of batches

if you plan on making food in it (pressure cooking stews etc, not just canning) consider buying a smaller stainless steel pressure cooker for that

eating food cooked in direct contact with aluminum makes me nervous and it tastes crappy

I'm using mom's stainless and gramma's aluminum monster - which connects me to my past - so that part is neat

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, can you share what your brine and seasoning was? and did you can with bone in? i've got a couple of gallon bags of thighs to do. thanks.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
canned a bunch of pheasant at 65 minutes at 15 lb pressure

ate our first batch

deboned the meat off a pint jar (two leg/thighs)

browned a small amount of roux with butter/flour (1/2 tbls each) in a pan

transferred the pheasant gelatin/liquid into the pan slowly - while stirring - makes for an instant gravy

stirred in fresh lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, a little white wine, and a couple capers

added chunked meat and let it simmer on low for ~10m

poured it over medium egg noodles - with bacon brussel sprouts deglazed with balsamic

it was amazing

I will cut either the brine time or the brine strength by maybe 50% next time - just a smidgen too salty when you use the jar's juice to make gravy (we are very salt intolerant at our house - not for health - just don't like it)

if making soup the salt level is perfect

full-40155-326839-12140787_1311287102233951_241932689357727518_n_1.jpg

Looks like cat vomit. Sorry Guy. haha. That being said, I'd still eat that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88