Cargo Trailer Conversions

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just purchased a 5'x10' v-nose Interstate trailer that is 10' on the side wall and an additional 19" in the V portion, I know it isn't very big but it is new and got a good deal on it, I purchased it to use mainly as a decoy trailer. Anyone have any pictures of what they have done to theirs or ideas / suggestions on what is beneficial and what isn't. It has a ramp back door and a side access door. Basically want to haul duck and goose decoys as well as waders, blinds, shells, guns, etc.
Was thinking the front V portion for guns, shells, waders with maybe a partition just behind the front access that will hold duck decoys (mainly floaters) and then use the remaining portion for goose decoys. Would it be beneficial to add light bars on the outside for early morning set up or not?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have some buddies that have a trailer similar to yours. The front to half is for all of the full-bodied honkers and the back for everything else. They took closet rod hangers and put one every 18 inches to keep the full bodies in place and are then able to stack them to the ceiling. They do have 1 curved light bar out the back of the trailer which is handy as hell for early morning hunts

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All 4 of my trailers have LED lights, back up and work lights. It makes life a lot easier and people can see the trailer in the day time, at night and in bad weather. I put tie downs everywhere so no matter what I always have a place to secure something. I have at least one spare tire too, 3 out of 4 trailers have the same size and lug pattern so I always have several spares for long trips.

As for stuff that's always in all of my trailers, I have a 4 way lug wrench, a jack, ratchet straps, couple of clevis's, couple of flares, spare hitch pin.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the same size trailer and set it up exactly how you described. Divider to the rear area separated the front from the back. I kept all the goose decoys and duck full bodies in the rear area. The front was use for blinds, floaters, etc. I like the trailer lined with plywood and something soft to keep the decoys in better shape.

I found interior light to be more important than exterior lights. The inside of the trailer is DARK in the morning LOL. Outside lights are cool but honestly I didn't use the ones I had much. LED's would probably be better. Make sure you have a dedicated battery and a single bank charger to charge it. I don't like running them off the truck, too much draw there with lots of lights.

I made the trip to Canada several times with that trailer. Pulled great and didn't hurt the mileage a bit. I could fit 6 dz. FB Canadas, 3 dz. full body ducks, 60 floaters, 600 SS snow goose decoys, flyers, ecaller, four blinds, and all the little stuff. It was packed to the roof but it worked.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 250
  • This month: 205
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66