Caterpillars

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had this in my yard. Can’t figure out what it is.

Attachments

B974E316-1735-417F-A796-230CD0AF41BF.jpeg

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
That will turn into a monarch butterfly I believe.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a damn fool. The dumbest boy in school i am.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think ndsportsman nailed it. pretty beneficial little fucker actually. once flying some folk think they are a real beauty. not me. they scare the living hell out of me for some reason. moths in general do. never figured out why as i am just fine with butterflies.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of moths we had a huge white lined sphinx buzzing our flowers one evening, thought it was a hummingbird at first. Then found one of the caterpillars in the yard too those things are huge!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is definately a spurge hawk moth caterpillar. They were released in the 60s as a form of biological leafy spurge control. They eat the leaves off of leafy spurge but don't do anything to actually kill or control the plant. Still cool to see them eating spurge. They were thick in 21 and again this year.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sister in law found a preying mantis at her place the other day

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A small team of us were sent down to Panama in '88. An elite squad if you will to supplement base security: We were monikered "Snake Teams" (after The Snake) and tooled around in the jungle monitoring base housing for illegals breaking into houses. Before each shift I bought a can of Raid "Yard Guard" to hose our stand for the night which eventually caused the worst cough I've ever had:

One night Pard slapped the shit out of his arm and there was a small thud on the ground. In a "fuck it" moment I used my MagLight to find a green "wooly worm": For some unknown reason we had a baggie of sorts and in 5min his whole arm was on fire like the first anthrax vac for Desert Shield.

We called for egress. Pard went to the clinic and I rode bitch on patrol. In the hour/1/2 as I tooled around I couldn't fucking "BELIEVE" the radio traffic and shit going on. The NCO I was with at the time in a Dodge Reliant K-Car obviously was part of a back up force or a retard only used as a last resort.

Pard in the clinic showed his swollen arm to the Doc with the offending worm and heard: "CATTY PEELYER": "No shit" said Pard; "Am I going to die?!": He lived and his arm returned normal after we were sent back in the woods.

There is more...

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sister in law found a preying mantis at her place the other day
That's pretty cool, I've only run across 2, maybe 3 in ND. Not that I look for them, but once you run across one you are pretty much aware how rare it is up here.

Or, am I just blind?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 12
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5