Concern About Suppressor Legality

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm all about the devices and believe in all the associated benefits. My concern is they could become mandatory. Would not want to re-bbl Grandad's Pre-64 .257 Roberts or get the bbl threaded. They would also make a levergun clunky. Thoughts?...

th

th

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the same concern. This is why I buy guns with adjustable gas regulators.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better start buying them now I would hate to see how long it would take to get your paperwork back if they were made mandatory

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any particular reason you have that concern? Due to misinformation / ignorance, there are many states that won't even allow you to possess one, like those commies over in MN.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched NRA Total Access last night and the suppressor was the big story. They kept harping on hearing loss and deer season not sounding like a "war". I guess gunshots disturb some people during deer season?...Well I know they do in today's softer society and this was the basis of my concern.
They in fact talked them up so much, I as a banger began to feel second class. We all know feelings aren't wrong, they just are.

Last edited:

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Follow your feelings Bud, you got a thumbs up.
Personally I don't care too much about suppressors, kind of a novelty that I do enjoy occasionally. I'll likely always prefer the sound of full gunfire. That being said, I am contemplating building a Blackout that I would suppress. Can you get a pistol length barrel in a .300? That suppressed would be the cats ass.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am contemplating building a Blackout that I would suppress. Can you get a pistol length barrel in a .300? That suppressed would be the cats ass.

I hate to post a link to the "other site", but before I quit over there, I saw a thread that has your answer, and sometimes I can't help being helpful:
http://www.fishingbuddy.com/sbr_s_now_legal_not_just_not_illegal

- - - Updated - - -

I as a banger began to feel second class. We all know feelings aren't wrong, they just are.

As a suppressed elitist, I tend to look down on the unwashed masses of "bangers". ;)

Actually, I do wish that everyone had one. The only downside (outside of the expense) is that once you shoot suppressed for a while, you'll find shooting without it annoying. I did a MT mule deer hunt last year, and while they are legal there, they won't let you use one to hunt big game in MT (who knows why...). In the heat of the moment, you don't hear the blast or feel the recoil anyway, but sighting it in without the suppressor sure sucked. Did this thing always kick this hard?

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't you need the class III to run a rifle with a barrel under 16" on a rifle, hence the AR pistol configurations.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that I really care. Plan to build one regardless.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Supp, I see what you're saying. Perfect example is the 7Rem vid I posted above. The gun pushed back like a .22. Do we retire Granddad's guns or decrease collector value/nostalgia? I can foresee diminishing returns due to the changing hearts of bureaucrats when they discover the benefits instead of the "horrible potential DANGER". Number one would be a great opportunity for registration with the current fed requirements.

Also, did the Whisper change to Blackout?

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Scotland and Scandinavia it is considered poor form to NOT use a suppressor when big game hunting already. But is not required by law.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Scotland and Scandinavia it is considered poor form to NOT use a suppressor when big game hunting already. But is not required by law.

Then how the hell would you use your 30 grand dbl gun? I'd consider myself in great form.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would imagine most wardens don't like suppression, they can't drive around and hear where people are hunting. And those that are poaching will have a much easier time of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75