Contemplating a shop build

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
$75 sq foot and up easy, heated concrete will not be cheap put is nice, less cheaper option if have to is hanging heaters, batts in wall and ceiling 1/4 of spray foam. Go big don't go smaller ask us that did it years ago. All depends on what you have in mind to use it for. Your thoughts in build are nice keep it if you can afford too.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are the downsides to steel buildings?
None really. Much better in some respects. If you can afford to spray foam it wood is no comparison in regards to strength and just plain room. Best bang for the buck for sure. Last spring we gave bids for six steel buildings and wood frame buildings to people. Every one chose steel. The labor is way less to erect

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
None really. Much better in some respects. If you can afford to spray foam it wood is no comparison in regards to strength and just plain room. Best bang for the buck for sure. Last spring we gave bids for six steel buildings and wood frame buildings to people. Every one chose steel. The labor is way less to erect
is there a website that shows 'kits' that you put up and the costs - labor? Or do you just do custom builds? Ive been wanting a shed/shop for a while but the prices have just been so crazy lately, its hard to justify the cost...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
is there a website that shows 'kits' that you put up and the costs - labor? Or do you just do custom builds? Ive been wanting a shed/shop for a while but the prices have just been so crazy lately, its hard to justify the cost...
We are a dealer/ builder for sunward steel buildings made in Jamestown. They run some specials and clearances on their web site most often. Never know what will be on there. And those are usually are not insulated buildings but you can add that to the building. I don’t recall what the insulation runs. It’s R19 in a white plastic sheeting. Goes on under the wall and roof steel. Erecting of the building shell runs $12-15 a square foot depending on the wall height and location. Concrete prices run all over the place.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
To finish the inside cost whole lot more than wood vs steel.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the process of getting a similar building designed/priced. Did it last spring but never got around to getting it done. 46x56x16 fully finished. Office/bath/mech/spray booth room all enclosed and finished plus floor heat. Estimated $225k last spring. That was for stick built. Got a quote from Cleary for a 42x64x16 during one of their sale events as well last year. Building only, fully finished was $141k. It was about $18k lower than their non-sale quote.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
We are a dealer/ builder for sunward steel buildings made in Jamestown. They run some specials and clearances on their web site most often. Never know what will be on there. And those are usually are not insulated buildings but you can add that to the building. I don’t recall what the insulation runs. It’s R19 in a white plastic sheeting. Goes on under the wall and roof steel. Erecting of the building shell runs $12-15 a square foot depending on the wall height and location. Concrete prices run all over the place.
Do you have a website link? Thx

Mushballer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started my build 2 years ago, a 28 x 34 shop 2X6 construction with 12’ sidewalls. I went with a Menards stick build kit, minus the overhead garage door and siding. I hired out the framing, roofing, and siding. A family member and I did the concrete work, I did all the electrical, forced air heat, stained floor, insulation, and finished the walls and ceiling with tin. Doing a lot of the work myself I was able to keep the entire build under 50k. Here are a few of the finished inside
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started my build 2 years ago, a 28 x 34 shop 2X6 construction with 12’ sidewalls. I went with a Menards stick build kit, minus the overhead garage door and siding. I hired out the framing, roofing, and siding. A family member and I did the concrete work, I did all the electrical, forced air heat, stained floor, insulation, and finished the walls and ceiling with tin. Doing a lot of the work myself I was able to keep the entire build under 50k. Here are a few of the finished inside
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
Ill give you 50k to do the same thing for me... Where are you located?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0559.jpeg
IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
I've been thinking/dreaming of something along the lines of this for a mancave, that floor looks really nice

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your saying steel is more expensive to finish the inside?
All extra studs and wood working have to do to finish inside with electrical too, but depends how do it. Mine is sheetrock with corrugated metal up 4 feet from bottom and flat metal on ceiling.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All extra studs and wood working have to do to finish inside with electrical too, but depends how do it. Mine is sheetrock with corrugated metal up 4 feet from bottom and flat metal on ceiling.
I guess I still don’t understand. You’re saying a wood framed building is more expensive to finish on the inside? Or a metal building is?

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built 42' x 66' knew county inspector max was 1,800 sq ft done deal. I did 2"x6" 12' side walls with vaulted custom rafters I do work for them special price all stick built 7 years ago. I did concrete floating slab. Got free forms to use from my cousin who is boss at company in town. I did all that with friends and son's help and then hired my union concrete bodies I paid them to help me pour it, float and finish plus big pad out front, I re-bared it all too. Got concrete from guy in New Salem, got deal on pump truck use twice grade concrete with fiber mesh, poured 6" thick floor 24" wide edge down 4 feet on back all due to grade in land. Bought all rest of package from Bismarck Lumber in Bismarck not junk from Menards or Lowes etc. good friend works there another plus special price again. I got good insulated garage doors form Midwest Doors of Bismarck paid them to hang them another plus do work for them too. I hired guy I know worked on side of his business he works for and I helped to frame it and put plywood on roof and sides. I sided it with LP smart side to match house and shingles. Hired a friend electrician to just basic wire had inspector check all, I do work for them too, easy pass on that all good. Than dad and I wired rest,. Son and I finished inside insulations than heavy plastic than sheetrock. Hired another guy who I knew works on side of his business he works for to tape and spray paint with good paint. Corrugated metal up 4' on bottom up and white flat metal on all ceiling. All for $72,000. In good ole days, now cost you 5 times that. Does help if have friends and can do some of it yourself and know people. Land scaped it all around too. Good luck crazy stupid now days

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31