Contemplating a shop build

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicking the tires on having a shop built. I would pay to have most of the work done. Thinking 40x60ish possibly a bit smaller and needs to be stick built. Can someone give me a ballpark $ estimate? Heated. Concrete etc. thx
If your going to have it done by someone I'd just go to the source and ask for an estimate. Most companies like Morton or other building manufactures will give you free estimates.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I built 42' x 66' knew county inspector max was 1,800 sq ft done deal. I did 2"x6" 12' side walls with vaulted custom rafters I do work for them special price all stick built 7 years ago. I did concrete floating slab. Got free forms to use from my cousin who is boss at company in town. I did all that with friends and son's help and then hired my union concrete bodies I paid them to help me pour it, float and finish plus big pad out front, I re-bared it all too. Got concrete from guy in New Salem, got deal on pump truck use twice grade concrete with fiber mesh, poured 6" thick floor 24" wide edge down 4 feet on back all due to grade in land. Bought all rest of package from Bismarck Lumber in Bismarck not junk from Menards or Lowes etc. good friend works there another plus special price again. I got good insulated garage doors form Midwest Doors of Bismarck paid them to hang them another plus do work for them too. I hired guy I know worked on side of his business he works for and I helped to frame it and put plywood on roof and sides. I sided it with LP smart side to match house and shingles. Hired a friend electrician to just basic wire had inspector check all, I do work for them too, easy pass on that all good. Than dad and I wired rest,. Son and I finished inside insulations than heavy plastic than sheetrock. Hired another guy who I knew works on side of his business he works for to tape and spray paint with good paint. Corrugated metal up 4' on bottom up and white flat metal on all ceiling. All for $72,000. In good ole days, now cost you 5 times that. Does help if have friends and can do some of it yourself and know people. Land scaped it all around too. Good luck crazy stupid now days
I think reality is setting in

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
If your going to have it done by someone I'd just go to the source and ask for an estimate. Most companies like Morton or other building manufactures will give you free estimates.
I contacted Morton already and working on a couple of others

NodakBob

Honored Member
I built a single stall garage 16’x24’ for my sister two years ago. Concrete contractor was $5500 then. Used plywood sheets for siding (grooved to look like siding), uninsulated…$20,000 including a flood survey, electrician and a Midwest door. A low budget build with Menards materials, And I did all the rest…not cheap!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built 42' x 66' knew county inspector max was 1,800 sq ft done deal. I did 2"x6" 12' side walls with vaulted custom rafters I do work for them special price all stick built 7 years ago. I did concrete floating slab. Got free forms to use from my cousin who is boss at company in town. I did all that with friends and son's help and then hired my union concrete bodies I paid them to help me pour it, float and finish plus big pad out front, I re-bared it all too. Got concrete from guy in New Salem, got deal on pump truck use twice grade concrete with fiber mesh, poured 6" thick floor 24" wide edge down 4 feet on back all due to grade in land. Bought all rest of package from Bismarck Lumber in Bismarck not junk from Menards or Lowes etc. good friend works there another plus special price again. I got good insulated garage doors form Midwest Doors of Bismarck paid them to hang them another plus do work for them too. I hired guy I know worked on side of his business he works for and I helped to frame it and put plywood on roof and sides. I sided it with LP smart side to match house and shingles. Hired a friend electrician to just basic wire had inspector check all, I do work for them too, easy pass on that all good. Than dad and I wired rest,. Son and I finished inside insulations than heavy plastic than sheetrock. Hired another guy who I knew works on side of his business he works for to tape and spray paint with good paint. Corrugated metal up 4' on bottom up and white flat metal on all ceiling. All for $72,000. In good ole days, now cost you 5 times that. Does help if have friends and can do some of it yourself and know people. Land scaped it all around too. Good luck crazy stupid now days
What’s twice grade concrete?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
All extra studs and wood working have to do to finish inside with electrical too, but depends how do it. Mine is sheetrock with corrugated metal up 4 feet from bottom and flat metal on ceiling.
Add a few rows of girts 24” OC problem solved

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
To OP.

Just paid the final invoice today on an a 32x46 addition/12 ft. sidewall (cold storage) attached to a 40x60 heated shed. Added rough in plumbing for a future bathroom, which included a septic tank and a new well. Total cost was $113,000.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
To OP.

Just paid the final invoice today on an a 32x46 addition/12 ft. sidewall (cold storage) attached to a 40x60 heated shed. Added rough in plumbing for a future bathroom, which included a septic tank and a new well. Total cost was $113,000.
Do you remember how much just the well was?

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the breakdown of my 32x46 Build.
Masonry: $17,616 (includes a 20x30 apron)
Excavation: $8,500
Material: $27,200
Labor: $23,500
Bathroom rough in: $18,763
Misc.: $8,500

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that eye opening, thanks for sharing. As for me it is now time to go back to dreaming about winning the lottery and handing over a bunch of it to Uncle Sam then maybe I can build a man cave.
On the other hand I have an old long quonset I have been kicking around renovating, its in pretty good shape for the most part.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
What was all included with the labor?
Inside finished?

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well that eye opening, thanks for sharing. As for me it is now time to go back to dreaming about winning the lottery and handing over a bunch of it to Uncle Sam then maybe I can build a man cave.
On the other hand I have an old long quonset I have been kicking around renovating, its in pretty good shape for the most part.
I have a 32x60 behlin building i had 3 inches of spray foam insl and made a shop out of it in 2009 . id love to have it where i live now. i stripped it with 2/4 where i installed light and wiring before i had it insl.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
18k for bathroom rough in? Holy shit
1706223392970.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74