Coot! crows of the swamp~

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone ever seen a flock of coots flying in migration?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
When duck hunting was slow, it was always fun to lay waste to those ugly-ass duck wannabes.

In a related note, why are black jacks (cormorants) protected? I hate those stupid things, especially when you're peaking out from your blind and they look just enough like geese coming in to get you excited (for a second anyway). #FlyingRats

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
One time, back in the oughts when I was in college, a buddy and I were scouting. Game down a dirt road that had a telltale ND slough hugging either side. Couldn't quite make out what was in the middle -- looked like a big dead moose or something. As we drove closer, discovered it was about 50 coot just chilling in the North Dakota setting sun.

For giggles, I hammered down on the ol Prizm gas. We laughed, and laughed, fully expecting them to move at the last minute.

Nope...

There were a few stragglers, but we laid waste to a solid 30-40 coots as they sat dumbly, awaiting their fate like a bunch of cultists drinking the spiked Kool Aid.

It was a thing of beauty.

Also, Louisiana boys call Coots by a different name and, I believe, they are a staple ingredient in cajun waterfowl gumbo, depending on the parish:

Spoonbill_Poule_deau_t-shirt_back_white_1024x1024.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe cormorants are protected on the west coast and since they are technically the same species, our get a pass. Game and Fish eliminates them if they get too thick. I think they just want to keep the fun for themselves.

15 a piece might actually get me out of the house. You can keep them for sausage.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
And from what I've been able to tell, my dogs enjoy retrieving coot just as much as anything else. On a slow morning, they can really break up the boredom.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For giggles, I hammered down on the ol Prizm gas. We laughed, and laughed, fully expecting them to move at the last minute.

Nope...

There were a few stragglers, but we laid waste to a solid 30-40 coots as they sat dumbly, awaiting their fate like a bunch of cultists drinking the spiked Kool Aid.

thank you for your service

- - - Updated - - -

#cootlivesmatter

angry-funny-grumpy-cat-sad-Favim.com-2043180.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent this video to a friend who is a ornithologist@ the u of m,he was surprised but said all animals are oprotunists for a free meal,he said deer will eat eggs of ground nesting birds as well as chicks(as in baby birds)interesting.

But yeah coot seem to be weak flyers and migrate@ night,.those red eyes must be good for night vision.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sent this video to a friend who is a ornithologist@ the u of m,he was surprised but said all animals are oprotunists for a free meal,he said deer will eat eggs of ground nesting birds as well as chicks(as in baby birds)interesting.

But yeah coot seem to be weak flyers and migrate@ night,.those red eyes must be good for night vision.

free meal?.... fine - but why the nest trashing and egg rolling into the water BS?

vandals are chumps

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
That got me thinking: Have any of you actually shot a coot in the air? I think I've either water-swatted or got them on the run every time, but I've never seen them fly more than 100 yards before plopping back down.

God, are they stupid, ugly birds. We should call them Hillary birds, given the current political climate.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well that makes me wanna shoot ever coot in sight this fall. Only up to 15 of course

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have'nt hunted water in years,but way back we would have'em come in low and slow to the spread,or pass shoot them flying low between sloughs.Guyz pulling dekes early and heading out across the lake through rafts of ducks/coot always stirred them up flying in every direction.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone ever use coot decoys to enhance their duck spread? My buddy said he was going to buy some.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
anyone ever use coot decoys to enhance their duck spread? My buddy said he was going to buy some.

That sounds like something a Sconi would say.... :;:

I've never thought of enhancing my water spread with anything other than more duck decoys. And even then, I think the most I've ever put out was five dozen. Otherwise it's a dozen or less for me (plus a spinner).

Then again, I don't hunt divers much. I hear they take a bit more numbers to get the drawing power desired.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 53