R.I.P. Adam Johnson

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you imagine being at that game? Or having took your kids to it.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
It certainly did look suspect to me as well. Really bad deal either way.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the video too. I don’t see how the offender could have intentionally done it. I do think the offender carelessly flung his leg in the air, maybe a flop of sorts to try to draw a penalty.

Skater1 and skater2 collided and as skater2 spun around his foot went up in the air and caught skater3 in the neck.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The video looks like a spinning back kick to the neck

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the video too. I don’t see how the offender could have intentionally done it. I do think the offender carelessly flung his leg in the air, maybe a flop of sorts to try to draw a penalty.

Skater1 and skater2 collided and as skater2 spun around his foot went up in the air and caught skater3 in the neck.
I agree guy was just looking to draw a penalty or slow Johnsons pursuit of the puck. No intention to cut him just a freak accident. Surprised they haven't made neck garters mandatory yet this isn't the first time someone's neck got cut by a skate.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree guy was just looking to draw a penalty or slow Johnsons pursuit of the puck. No intention to cut him just a freak accident. Surprised they haven't made neck garters mandatory yet this isn't the first time someone's neck got cut by a skate.
A bit like the HANS device wasn't mandatory until Dale Sr. died @ Daytona I suppose.

I thought I heard during the Kings/Leafs intermission last night that all of the Penguins minor league players/prospects will be mandated to wear the neck-protectors.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
AJ was at least 6-2' on skates. Anyone that played hockey knows how difficult it would be to spin in the air doing a roundhouse style kick to someone's chest would be, yet to the head/neck area. Defenseman that get beat or skated around will toss out all kinds of tricks to prevent a score, hence why they spend alot of time in the box. There was obviously intent to take AJ away from the play, and coming in skates high and claiming it was an "accident" is complete B.S. - the intent was there. Its too bad that it takes a catastrophic event to make safety equipment mandatory - hopefully this will open some eyes. Neck guards are uncomfortable but maybe this will give companies a reason to re-engineer the current design to make something better.

Same as mouth guards - they serve a purpose yet you see the pros chewing on them most of the time - half out of their mouths or not wearing them at all, and then what do you see kids doing? The same thing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84