CORPS must pay landowners

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
so is fargo going to pay property owners downstream when it floods worse after the diversion?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What they are saying is we all now get to pay land owners. I love how they say the CORP…AKA tax payers.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a terrible precedent!

Who among us really believes we have given the Corps the ability to control Mother Nature to such an extent? This decision would suggest we now have a fundamental misunderstanding of the tools provided by the taxpayers and the playbook known as the Master Manual, written with input from all Missouri River states.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no sympathy for people who built or bought houses in a flood prone area... Stupid is as stupid does...
Fargo is putting in a several billion dollar diversion, to save the houses on the river...
And Fargo is not paying the bill.

Who are the stupid ones on this project?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The folks of Oxbow will be mailing out thank you’d I’m sure.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo is putting in a several billion dollar diversion, to save the houses on the river...
And Fargo is not paying the bill.

Who are the stupid ones on this project?

Projects like this usually have a Federal and local cost-share agreement. Often the State steps in and picks up a portion of the local cost-share, leaving the protected community responsible for something between 20 and 30 percent of the total cost.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a terrible precedent!

Who among us really believes we have given the Corps the ability to control Mother Nature to such an extent? This decision would suggest we now have a fundamental misunderstanding of the tools provided by the taxpayers and the playbook known as the Master Manual, written with input from all Missouri River states.
Courts have found the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers responsible for recurrent flooding since 2007, three years after it changed how it manages the Missouri River’s flow to better protect the habitat of endangered fish and birds.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Courts have found the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers responsible for recurrent flooding since 2007, three years after it changed how it manages the Missouri River’s flow to better protect the habitat of endangered fish and birds.

That would make every state along the Missouri and Mississippi also responsible as they had a hand in writing the Missouri River Master Manual.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didn't burleigh county pay some people off for their houses? If they did wouldn't they be able to double dip or would the county go after the corp to get the money back?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would make every state along the Missouri and Mississippi also responsible as they had a hand in writing the Missouri River Master Manual.
They might have been at the table as a feel good gesture but how much of their input was actuallly listened to or even used in the rewriting of the master manual. The major change in the master manual was to protect birds and fish with little concern to people or property, so which state proposed or agreed with this change?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They might have been at the table as a feel good gesture but how much of their input was actuallly listened to or even used in the rewriting of the master manual. The major change in the master manual was to protect birds and fish with little concern to people or property, so which state proposed or agreed with this change?
I would bet zero of their input used. Basically like the game and fish advisory meetings

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how many of the states give a darn about the birds, probably none if they think it comes at the expense of their interests. Nonetheless, the Corps has been ordered by the courts to incorporate the interests of the Endangered Species Act. I am sure glad I don't have to work for the Corps because they have been in a damned if you do and damned if you don't position for a really long time now.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, doing their best to control nature which isn’t possible. In areas where development is marginally sustainable at best. This could set the stage for those who depend on the western rivers to sue the corps as well (aka the taxpayer). Should they be liable when the river dries up and golf resorts and farmers can’t irrigate the desert? And I guess someone has to look out for the threatened species, if they were saving pheasants and walleyes I suppose many would be singing a different tune.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right, doing their best to control nature which isn’t possible. In areas where development is marginally sustainable at best. This could set the stage for those who depend on the western rivers to sue the corps as well (aka the taxpayer). Should they be liable when the river dries up and golf resorts and farmers can’t irrigate the desert? And I guess someone has to look out for the threatened species, if they were saving pheasants and walleyes I suppose many would be singing a different tune.
This is already happening along the Colorado River.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

My guess is the COE alone signed off on the blueprints. I don't think states are legally bound to an opinion even if they are listed as a reference in the manual. I could be wrong though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84