Cost per SQ FT for building a house

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking into building a new house. Anybody recently done this or had is done? I know it can vary quite a bit. Looking at a 2200 sqft upper with a poured unfinished basement. I would be doing the electrical and possibly the HVAC myself. Everything else I would pay to have done. How much ya think this would cost me? Thanks!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I looked (Last Year) it was about twice the price of what you could buy a house for per square foot of living space. This was a 1800 sq ft rambler style with middle of the road appliances, cabinets, siding, roof, etc. etc. etc. Be darn sure you plan on living there for a looooong time before you build.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
depends on what you are building. Built one a couple years ago from a standard plan they had with a few tweaks to it.

Finished area was around 100 to 120/sq foot - I did have some upgrades that I did that pushed the cost up.

non finished area (this was their quoted price) 30/sq foot

Custom built home was starting at 150/sq foot and went up depending on what you wanted.

Bismarck/Mandan area.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are so many variables in price per sq ft. that what you hear isn't going to come true. Never gave a price per sq. ft. because as soon as I did they thought stainless steel appliances, triple pane windows and the lawn seeded were included.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty safe @ $200 sq. ft. unless you are going really fancy. If you are doing some of the work yourself that saves quite a chunk of change.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just quick figured mine and i did all the concrete and excavation it was right around 155

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
it can run all over the place. depends on your location and how fancy you want to get. $160 per finished sq. ft. would be a minimum to start with.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever the estimate, add 30%. That will get you close.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously, why is ND so damn expensive on new construction? I have coworkers who have recently (past couple years) moved elsewhere and I am in serious home envy at what they got compared to the cost of housing in the Bismarck area.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say around 200$ a foot. I know a roofer that works fairly cheap as long as you take him fishing at the end of the day.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell ya! I'm thinking steel roof. Also I talked to dakota custom home here is washburn last fall and he was thinking between 90 and 120. But that was no concrete I believe. They do nice work too.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Houses are so expensive because they think we all have oil wells.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in Minot, need a roof, build custom fishing rods, , and guide on Devils Lake. Can we work something out?

I would say around 200$ a foot. I know a roofer that works fairly cheap as long as you take him fishing at the end of the day.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I you were not 4 hours away I might be able to help. Justwingnit was the best man in my wedding (funeral) what ever you call it that's why he gets that offer.

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just about done with mine I'll have $175k into it completely finished and furnished, split level 3120sq ft living space, 1440 sqft garage finished heated, 16x16 composite deck down to a 20x20 stamped concrete patio, and about 1100sqft of concrete apron. And 5.23 acres. Is that a good deal. I did most myself and traded labor for some of electrical and heating. And help from buddies when needed. Should of did it 10years ago.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got ours built in McKenzie county 2015 ours is about the same square footage (30x72) with and unfinished basement only difference is ours is a modular which in my opinion is just as good if not better than stick built. our 5 acres was practically free through the in-laws on there ranch. all said I think we finalized our loan around 260k-270k??? (wife handles all that stuff)

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful about just going off of per sq ft #'s without further clarifications.

If you are looking at a 2000 sq ft ranch with a finished basement some builders are stating it as $220 per sq ft finished. But that is 2000 sqft up and 2000 sqft finished basement. So you have 4000 actual sq ft finished.

Then you could go look at a 2500 sqft slab home and that builder will state $170 per sq ft. but in that home you only have 2500 sqft finished.

You get into split levels vs ranch vs slab vs walkout basement vs patio vs daylight basement and they all will have items in the inherent design and structure that will change your price per sq ft.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm actually going to be helping a buddy build a new home this summer. It's a 1600 sq. ft. split level. Finished up and down. And has master suite over the back half of the garage that will be an additional 450 sq. ft. He will be doing a little of it himself. But the majority of it will be done by others. This will have all middle of the line quality or above. Nice deck, etc and a small walkout in the basement. It's going to come in at about 300K. If he gave a set up prints to a builder and told him to do it all it would be at least 400K. Back in 2005 I built an 1850 sq. ft. ranch with five bedrooms, three baths. finished up and down so it had 3700 sq. ft finished. Did 100% of it myself. I had 125K in it when completed. Today it would cost me a minimum of 200K to do it exactly the same way.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously, why is ND so damn expensive on new construction? I have coworkers who have recently (past couple years) moved elsewhere and I am in serious home envy at what they got compared to the cost of housing in the Bismarck area.

I have lot (land) envy of many other areas. Any lot or chunk of land with any view besides the patio of your backyard neighbors is $130k to $330K in the Bismarck area. It is sad what that kind of money can get you in MN or IA and I am sure many other places.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat, we are a couple years out from moving/building but want to explore our options early on so if we do decide to build we have plenty of time to plan. From the little looking I have done so far it is highly dependent on the contractors (i.e. small town guy vs city company). Had a coworker build a two story with an unfinished basement last year through a large contractor in GF. I believe it was around 2400 finished and 1200 unfinished (garage included in square footage). His budget was $400k and he went slightly over. Had a friend build in Devils Lake using a small town guy. He has 3600 finished plus a 30x40 attached garage. All floor heat in basement and garage, nice finishes and appliances. He's into in for $260k-$275k. He did get cheap electrical work though.

Small town guys typically take longer because they have smaller crews usually but IMO a lot of them do better work than the bigger companies and they will usually allow you to do some yourself if you are able too.

My plan is to find a floor plan that we like that we can use as a starting point and just meet with a few contractors to get their opinions.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31