Cow Elk Tag - E1E

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i do get one of the elk magazines. In the last one they stated how many elk are in each state and put the number at 1000 for ND and 5000 for SD. Based on information they received from some official source. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The game and fish wouldn't lie would they? Wait I remember them telling us there were no mountain lions in ND. I even had pictures of lion tracks and they still denied it.
If I remember correctly at one of their meetings, we were told they didn't bring any mountain lions into ND. About 5 years later a warden told me differently.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BBJ:

Not sure what the deal is with game and fish. There is some kind of issue.

In 95 I asked Bismarck if I could hunt over food plots and bait. They said yes but it was the biggest joke they ever hear. Deer would come and eat all the corn at night, and I would not see a deer. They did use the word stupid and dumb on me. Wonder how this has turn out.

Not sure of the elk numbers but three years ago i had two friends who drove around counting elk in herds. Found around 6-700 in 4 different herds by this area. Guy flew in plane three years ago also and as best they could, came up with over 900 on the south side of the border in the Turtle MT.

G&F said at most 400 or a touch more head up here.

So had a guy with a cow tag ask if he could hunt. Yes, and he spent 2 days and night living in hay bales next to my stand. Elk had a trail going to a soybean field, but none came by so left.
Another person with bull tag ask. Coming tomorrow so went up to check on cameras. Was able to sneak to within 150 yards of the herd. Around 75 in that group with what i will assume a couple of nicer bulls. Quite a few bulls in the herd.
Looks good for tomorrow and will share daytime picture from the camera after he is done. db

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
im not a govt employee and do not know the numbers of elk in the state but 1K is waaaaaay fkn low in my opinion. in E1E alone i can say from the sources i know which is 3 guys between those 3 they will winter 450 themselves.......

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
and that's 3 guys whom none of them are around Walhalla. one is from mountain the other closest town langdon or osnabrock, the other cavalier is closest

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The hunt is still on.
Trying to find a shootable bull in the herd in the shooter's mind. Picky. Hard to see this morning due to snow fog. Maybe this afternoon.
Elk out in open by trees but rough count of 150.

In 98 i bought 1.8 acres out in the middle of the bush. Isolated from all.
About 8 years ago a lone bull came. At the time i thought it was kind of neat. Now they are rodents to me. Canadian citizens that cross the border illegally.

In time about 20-30 head and in time they stayed the winter.
Now i have 1/3 of all the elk in the turtle mt. according to game and fish.
Unreal. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess it is harder than i thought even with the herd out in the open like cows in a pasture. But my hunter is after a certain bull and is back at work with Saturday his next try. Will put up a couple of more cameras on their trails tomorrow and look forward to the pictures. Hope they stay away from my evergreens however that is where half the herd was yesterday.
Then in January need to move the herd elsewhere or when and if he gets his. db

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They have shot two of them cougars close to my site that i know of but other than bear have got no pictures of them cougars. I been told there is a town up there with the nickname Cougars. Was also told a guy got one with a collar on him/her. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
db, I remember when rayfield (SP) from kelvin shot a wolverine in the hills. I saw picture of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75