Crane hunting?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If we are on a dedicated crane hunt the dog will be wearing Rex specs. They are some mean son of bitches. Waterfowl is my favorite game meat and the crane is at the top with fat mallards and specks.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had the opportunity to have a set feed and hunt. Always here one day gone the next. I have had days of non stop migrators low but doubt you’d get many to decoy. Might be one hunt I’d pay to try for a day or two. And that is hard to admit!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had the opportunity to have a set feed and hunt. Always here one day gone the next. I have had days of non stop migrators low but doubt you’d get many to decoy. Might be one hunt I’d pay to try for a day or two. And that is hard to admit!
I have got it to work a couple times and watching those big ass birds float in is a sight to be seen. We have had more sticking around year after year kind of like the specks.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years back we hunted them just west of wing nd. We sat on a fence line on school land between to large sloughs and would path shoot them along with geese. It was miss more than hit to be in the right spot along that qtr mile fence.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have shot them in the decoys and pass shooting. I will take pass shooting them 9 out of 10 times. Lots more action pass shooting them.

As for eating them, we made pepper sticks out of them. As for ribeyes in the sky no there not.

I don't know why anyone would turn there dog on a Crane. It's not just the beak that you worry about its the long legs and wings. Unless the dog is a aggressive dog the Rex spec may not be enough. We have shot 100's of them and we had dogs and never turned them loose. If they were still alive when we walked up to them, we just shot them again.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to chase cranes a bit back in the day. What the others are saying is spot on. They’ll pick your spread apart and “float” 100 yards out cranking their long ass necks back and forth scanning. High wind days are the best. Hiding downwind is usually the best bet but we’ve have a few hunt’s where a few thousand cranes are mixed in with canadas and specks and laid in the decoys with a few small pockets of crane decoys 20 yards in the hole. Pass shooting is fun but watching them drop those goofy ass legs the last 10 yards is something else. The best scenario is an area holding 10-20k and using multiple fields in a couple sections. They’ll trade back and forth like snows do.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good info here,hunting waterfowl the last year with lead shot (legally) in north America did a Saskatchewan hunt, two guyz and my pup,bumped into a local farmer one day he invited us on a crane hunt,5 bird limit.as stated ^^^ no dog so I passed on that hunt but we had a great snow goose shoot and feed but that's another thread.

I asked the farmer if cranes are good table fare,he said he doesn't eat em just fun pass shootin em,neighbors love em,they told the farmer they taste like a cross of bald eagle and loon.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good info here,hunting waterfowl the last year with lead shot (legally) in north America did a Saskatchewan hunt, two guyz and my pup,bumped into a local farmer one day he invited us on a crane hunt,5 bird limit.as stated ^^^ no dog so I passed on that hunt but we had a great snow goose shoot and feed but that's another thread.

I asked the farmer if cranes are good table fare,he said he doesn't eat em just fun pass shootin em,neighbors love em,they told the farmer they taste like a cross of bald eagle and loon.
When I guide up in Saskatchewan yrs ago. We got into Cranes alot up there. The Specks were the 1st ones in the decoys every morning. They would even beat the ducks. We would limit out on Speck then switch to the Duck. Then came the Snows for a hr or two. Then the Honkers. We could shoot 8 black geese, put only 3 Specks. Lots of great Dog work. I sent my female Lab on a blind retrieve out across a valley up a hill and over the other side. I lost sight of her for close to 5 mins. When she came back, I figured she went from 3/8 to 1/2 mile and only popped once as she got to the top of the hill. She looked back for advice and I just said back again and over the hill she went.

To me it's the best retrieve I have ever seen by any dog.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 377
  • This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 130
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61