Cranking battery

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
It appears my cranking battery is toast. Bought two years ago, stored in a heated garage and rotated a battery tender on it over the last two years, along with the rest of my boat, camper, and cycle batteries. Was not used last year. At any rate, I have seen this subject before, and recall hearing Walmart has good cranking batteries. I just need reconfirmation because it seems odd buying batteries from Walmart. Any insight? All of my batteries have been Interstate to this point.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep it seems just about every battery brand has a lemon now and then…most any cranking battery if properly taken care of should get you at least five years…WalMart is not bad, I think my current one is from fleet farm…I usually go with what’s on sale on the cranking battery and spend a little more on the trolling batteries…

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
today's electronics are hard on cranking batteries... the bright displays, sidescanning, etc. draw so much more than yesteryear

gels deal with repeat cycling, long storage at low voltage, etc. much better than wet cells - so I started using them for everything

that, and I have more money than scruge mcduck so I have to blow it on something

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
today's electronics are hard on cranking batteries... the bright displays, sidescanning, etc. draw so much more than yesteryear

gels deal with repeat cycling, long storage at low voltage, etc. much better than wet cells - so I started using them for everything

that, and I have more money than scruge mcduck so I have to blow it on something
Excellent point if you are running multiple devices and a radio/stereo and not cranking up the big motor much, it would be a good idea to run a separate battery just for electronics
Portrait_of_Scrooge_McDuck_by_jaggudada.jpg

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
good luck trying to find a place for another battery in a lot of these boats. I have had good luck with wal-mart batteries, and shit luck with interstates personally. I run the MAXX batteries from there. Buddy of mine just bought one from the battery Dr. in mandan we will see how that one works out. Any one else been using the battery dr?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once my Interstate poops the bed im guessing ill throw an optima in there. They love abuse. Ive seen a guy shoot through the side of a red top with a /06 and throw battery in his Blazer and fired it up. I cant pull that stunt with my interstates. But they are $$$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1h-wTFcyWA

he wanted to see if this ad was legit...... It is

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how Cabelas AGM batteries are? They go on pretty good sales once in a while. I personally have always had good luck with interstate and crap luck with the Walmart Maxx brand. Even doing everything right they were only charging to 50 or 60 percent by the second year. So yeah, currently still using and pretty happy with interstate.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Ive given up on Interstate. Had great luck with WalMart Maxx in my last boat.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know about Cabelas AGM's, but, Fleet Farm's AGM's went a full 6 seasons running an 80# auto-pilot. I never got more than ~2.5 seasons out of a standard battery. I'm about to begin season 3 with the 2nd set of Fleet Farm AGM's.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been happy with Interstate for the cranking battery, but I always make sure I get the XHD series (extra heavy duty). A lot of times you have to order this battery. And get the biggest one you can fit in your compartment.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today's batteries are good for about 2 seasons, just buy cheap as I have no effing luck with any of them. I do everything right and still 2 yrs.:mad:

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run O'Reilly I have had cranking one for six years. That is the best one I have had. For trolling motor I have walmart they seem just as good. All of them are group 31 the bigger the better.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76