One battery or two?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK so I use various electrical devices on my SS pipsqueak but in the end I know less then jack shit when it comes to the various draw rates for different electronic devices place on a marine battery! My little boat has always run a 30 pound thrust minkota till the day was gone and kept going long after. But the other day I did something I should have known better then to do and that is I set out with a brand new never used 29DC ever start battery(I did top it off first) a just out of the box helix7 and a new 54 pound watersnake trolling motor with three blades not two. I was on a small lake east of town and knew full well the new setup would tax the battery more.....but was not ready for what happened. I have run little boats like this for the last 25 years and when the charge starts to go you start to see a slow down but still have around a twenty to thirty minute window to get back. That's not what happened on sunday. on sunday around three hours in I suddenly realized the boat had gone from full speed (around 3 mph as I was 3D mapping with the side scan) to about 60%. This slow down happened in probably under ten seconds. I instantly turned towards the truck that was a half mile away but within another ten seconds i knew that that was not going to happen as I lost 50% of what speed i still had and the sonar said it was time to go back to sleep. In the end from first hint the battery was getting low to full stop I was able to cover only around 150 yards. Luckily for me the boat is very lite and is just loaded into the box so all I had to do was walk a half mile back and drive into the pasture and load up.

Having crap for knowledge in this area I'm just curious on things like how far down on the volt meter can I take a battery before a 12 volt system shuts down since I can set an alarm on the sonar to warn me? How much battery does a bigger sonar unit use over the course of a few hours? Needless to say the sonar played a part but the new motor probably took the Lions share of the juice. I'm sure I could find the answers by Googling it but with not much electrical experience it would take much longer to truly understand what I was looking at and that's why I'm asking you guys hoping you could break it down into much simpler terms! The obvious solution is just to throw a second battery in but with the small size of the boat that's not necessarily my favorite option so just trying to get an idea how the math actually works with this type of setup.

Any tips or past experiences would be greatly appreciated.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know if I leave my side scan modem for my depth finder it kill my battery in a few hours at the dock. running a single agm deep cycle battery

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Each speed has a different amp draw and it should be listed in the owners manual. I forget what my old 35 Minnkota would draw, something like 12 amps on number four speed. I run a 125 amp deep cycle so divide your amp draw into the total of your battery. 12 amps into a 125 amp would give you 12.5 hours. I don't worry about it with my 24v system because it will troll Devils Lake all day and maybe a second day.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a gas outboard and a trailer
Ahhhhh it's an eight foot boat! As such putting a gas motor on would be far more of a pain in the ass and take up more room and weight then just putting in a second battery!

IMG_20160329_120542712.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahhhhh it's an eight foot boat! As such putting a gas motor on would be far more of a pain in the ass and take up more room and weight then just putting in a second battery!

Screenshot_2016-11-15-10-31-06.jpg

I would just bring two vex batteries to run your graph for the day and isolate your deep cycle for the troller. Typically your graph won't use more than one in a day, but packing 2 vex batteries is easy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of nice equpment on that rig.. You should up grad.
For what I use it for i don't want to upgrade...and if I did upgrade it would be for a similar sized boat with a built in live well. Even when I had a nice new 17 foot yarcraft tiller I preferred to use this since it doesn't have all the other crap to worry about so is far more relaxing to fish out of. Best way I can put it is its far closer to laying on the bank as a kid with a rod and a bobber then being in a big boat dealing with multiple motors, sonars and every other electronic gadget. Plus when trolling for whatever when i hook up i can just kill the boat and enjoy fighting the fish in instead of skiing them in. Needless to say not going to be making long runs to the fishing spot but if I can unload within a mile and the weather is good i will opt for her instead of a big boat even on the big lakes.

- - - Updated - - -

I would just bring two vex batteries to run your graph for the day and isolate your deep cycle for the troller. Typically your graph won't use more than one in a day, but packing 2 vex batteries is easy.

Now that's is a good idea if they don't drain them to fast. I have a number of them for both vex and camera and they would be perfect as far as portability goes! Thanks for the suggestion.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going from a 30 lb thrust to a 54 lb is a big difference. The 54 sucks a lot of juice out of 12 volter. I have both motors in the Minnkota versions that I use on a duck boat and if I were to run the 54 at full bore it doesnt take long at all to notice the battery taking a crap. I prefer the 30.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also don't run it wide open, might take you a few extra minutes to get to your spot but won't drain the battery as fast

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going from a 30 lb thrust to a 54 lb is a big difference. The 54 sucks a lot of juice out of 12 volter. I have both motors in the Minnkota versions that I use on a duck boat and if I were to run the 54 at full bore it doesnt take long at all to notice the battery taking a crap. I prefer the 30.
Yeah it got the 30 on her today. The 54 will probably be just a river motor and surprisingly didn't push it much better then the 30 anyway.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well heres an up date on this issue. Turns out that the new ever start max battery is a dud. Runs for at best 1/3 as long as it should. Hell it has a twin to it that is in its third year and I know it's leaked out a fair bit of its water and it still hold as much charge that the new one does. Captain ahabs suggestion to use the smaller Vexilar battery works perfectly and last for hours. Took it out to fish today but I've come to the conclusion that auto chart life is going to cost me a fair number of fish for awhile. What I mean by that is its just so firking addicting much like doing a puzzle where you sit there and can't wait to see how that next piece plays out. It's prettycool to watch a lake show you her secrets!

This is what i got started on today and will take a couple more days to complete but I'm finding little gems all over the place already.

Screenshot_2016-05-01-19-11-27.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Took a fair few zig zags to get it to this point.

IMG_20160501_154231.jpg

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was going to say the wallmart batteries suck. It seems every other time I get one it's a dude after the first time out. Fortunately the people at Wal-Mart do the care about receipts I think I've returned both my batteries each year for the past 4yrs no questions asked. To bad the inter estates the replaced lasted 7yrs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88