Cucumbers

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Svnmag Jr! I, on the other hand, happen to love cucumbers.....typically in cream/onions/vinegar or pickled.

My problem is I haven't paid attention lately and I have about a dozen that are the size small footballs. What do folks do with them when they get that big? Slice and pickle? Any other suggestions?

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Refrigerator pickles. Slice em with onion and some green/red/yellow peppers. I’d have to look at the recipe again but its a mixture of sugar, vinegar, with celery seed and mustard seed

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer to keep the bumps on. Your meemaw wants it polished smooth.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted 4 sets of cucumbers this year on the 11th of June and decided to keep track of how many I have picked.

As of today I'm at 251 cucumbers. Have eaten them peeled with salt and pepper, with Worcestershire sprinkled on them, in vinegar with sugar and pepper, cucumbers and cream, and have given a butt load to family, friends, co workers, and neighbors.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought this may have Buffalo Chip references

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted 4 sets of cucumbers this year on the 11th of June and decided to keep track of how many I have picked.

As of today I'm at 251 cucumbers. Have eaten them peeled with salt and pepper, with Worcestershire sprinkled on them, in vinegar with sugar and pepper, cucumbers and cream, and have given a butt load to family, friends, co workers, and neighbors.

I had this in Texas once and it was amazing: Slice thin or in wedges; make a batch of bread/butter pickles and add habanero or cayenne to the jar: The epitome of sweet/hot IMHO. I'm not the chef so will buy a jar of Vlasic, add the pepper and allow to steep in the 'fridge for a few days. In the Hills most of my family especially enjoys B/B pickles as a side to pasta w/red sauce. It works. I promise.

TANGENT: Still trying to re-educate the folks about wine and pasta: Spaghetti, rigatoni, lasagna etc are overpowered by Cabernet, Merlot, Zinfandel etc. Even a meaty red sauce is better served by a good Chianti or similar light colored dry red wine. My grandmothers knew this and made their wine accordingly from their coal dust gardens and grape seeds smuggled on the boat. The grape arbors are gone along with the knowledge. The wine lasted a few years after their passing. The flavor was described as "tawny". I remember sampling one of these ripe grapes off the vine when I was in grade school and finding the taste extremely unpleasant.

If you ever find yourself in Sicily or Italy; seek out a ristorante far away from the main drag, make an honest attempt to speak Italian and order a carafe of "vino locale" (house wine usually made on the premises with a Chianti feel). You will be treated as royalty to the point of embarrassment. I came up through the Cold War and never kept contacts. Makes me sad especially now as Khrushchev's admonition is in fruition; false quote or not.

https://youtu.be/SpAebawrv4w

Last edited:

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them big over ripe ones I usually just feed to the deer. They gnaw on them eventually.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Refrigerator pickles. Slice em with onion and some green/red/yellow peppers. I’d have to look at the recipe again but its a mixture of sugar, vinegar, with celery seed and mustard seed

Turmeric is your friend

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

If you find yourself looking at the recipe again, I'd love to hear it if you're willing to share!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big ones have mature seeds that you can save for future planting. You can freeze cucumbers too when you cant keep up eating them.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big ones have mature seeds that you can save for future planting. You can freeze cucumbers too when you cant keep up eating them.

just dry them I assume? How do you know they're mature? I assume I know the answer to both, just wondering if there are any secrets I'm missing....

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
When buying the seeds or plants in the spring I only buy pickling instead of slicers. If you miss or dont pick a slicer in time the seeds inside get so big they arent much use for anything. A pickling variety can be picked small for canning pickles or if its left to get big like a slicer the seeds inside still stay small so still can be used as a slicer if you wish.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been getting a lot of bitter ones this year. Not sure why.

My tomatoes are a complete disaster.

Lots of jalapenos, sweet peppers and green peppers.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For 1 gallon jar : 4 cups sugar 4 cups white vinegar 1/2 cup salt 1 1/3 teaspoon turmeric 1 1/3 teaspoon celery seed 1 1/3 teaspoon mustard seed 3 white onions sliced thin . Fill jar alternating cukes and onion . Mix other ingredients no heating involved . Pour in jar and refrigerate . Your welcome in advance !!

Last edited:

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Refrigerator pickles. Slice em with onion and some green/red/yellow peppers. I’d have to look at the recipe again but its a mixture of sugar, vinegar, with celery seed and mustard seed[/

Agreed,don't forget the dill flower.....a MUST,plus a little chili pepper heat is good.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been getting a lot of bitter ones this year. Not sure why.

My tomatoes are a complete disaster.

Lots of jalapenos, sweet peppers and green peppers.

Ever try pickling the jalapenos ? If you're interested I have a recipe for doing it in the microwave that only takes a few minutes.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those ones you missed when picking and they are now football size, I just pick and throw. You need to get them off the vine so they are not sucking all the growth to the smaller cukes. I grow an Asian type that need to be on a trellis because they get from 14 to 18 inches long and about as big around as a 50 cent piece. They are great as a Ref pickle or fresh eating with all your different sauces. Small seed cavity and a real thin skin for easy digesting. LB

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never made them so don't have a recipe but "slippery hots" are popular with some folks. Peel, remove seeds, and pickle. You can use large zucchini the same way.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
For 1 gallon jar : 4 cups sugar 4 cups white vinegar 1/2 cup salt 1 1/3 teaspoon turmeric 1 1/3 teaspoon celery seed 1 1/3 teaspoon mustard seed 3 white onions sliced thin . Fill jar alternating cukes and onion . Mix other ingredients no heating involved . Pour in jar and refrigerate . Your welcome in advance !!

Yikes thats a lot of sugar!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19