Custom Ice rods

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you guys all using to attach reels to these new custom rods without reel seats? Ive used black tape and tywraps in the past anything else better for rod sensitivity?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always just used electrical tape and then ran a lighter over it to really adhere it/shrink it a bit. I've never had an issue and i know i have some reels that have been attached to rods for 10-15 years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
silicone self-fusing tape

available at many places including Amazon, hardware stores, yadda

grippy, warm, you can wrap the typically cold reel foot at the same time for snuggly wuggly feel

- - - Updated - - -

it appears clam now sells pro wrap - same thing

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wade at Dakota Tackle has some wrap that kind of like the anti-slip material used for tennis rackets. It works pretty good. He has a few options for colors.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hockey tape or silicone tape. I like the feel of hockey tape, but it does absorb water.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Silicone tape - it sticks only to itself so won't damage the cork handles and is warm on the hand. It can be found pretty cheap at hardware stores or online. Don't buy the ice fishing marketed stuff like Clam Pro Wrap. It is the same thing with a larger price tag.

mrperch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback.. just bought a 30 inch gold digger from jt rods going to put it to the test this weekend

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys appreciate all the feedback.. just bought a 30 inch gold digger from jt rods going to put it to the test this weekend

Nice. I got a 28" shiver stick for christmas. Great rods. I attached a pflueger president with electrical tape. seems odd to take a nice rod and real and stick them together with electrical tape but thats what i've always done.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My recommendation is to buy the most expensive tape you can find to go along with that $100 plus custom ice rod. Because everybody knows the more money you spend on your gear, the more fish you catch. Ha ha ha ha ha

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use casteration bands on all my rods. I also include them with rods I build for friends and family and everybody seems to like them. 100 bands for 3 bucks. I put 4 bands on each rod so one package lasts awhile

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My recommendation is to buy the most expensive tape you can find to go along with that $100 plus custom ice rod. Because everybody knows the more money you spend on your gear, the more fish you catch. Ha ha ha ha ha

Well duh, I figured everyone knew that from TV, YouTube, articles, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Electric tape, vet wrap or self adhesive tape has worked well for me on any rods that don't have reel seats.

- - - Updated - - -

15478680547289053391792964402727.jpg

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
My $19 rod/reel combos always come attached. People get caught up in gadgets

SHEDZ

I use casteration bands on all my rods. I also include them with rods I build for friends and family and everybody seems to like them. 100 bands for 3 bucks. I put 4 bands on each rod so one package lasts awhile

Same here. Works better than black tape!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 74
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31