Dad's getting a new boat

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
idk about tracker -- but sub chime in on this - imo if i was going to buy a boat that will last some years and go through some big water i would be looking at a nitro. To bad the sob doesnt come with a yamaha option. I still see old fiberglass targas for sale and they still hold a price. Sub cant one buy a nitro with a 250fitty for just a hair over 60. Wait till this fall and one never knows. The marine market is hot for now - it will cool.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it staying in the water/marina all summer at LOW, how about giving a gently used Chris Craft cabin cruiser a look?

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've fished in most of the newer fiberglass boats and it all comes down to personal preference. I choose Skeeter because there is never a time I need more than 2 seats in the boat with the jump seats in the back so it keeps things pretty opened up. I also choose Skeeter because of the unrivaled service I get from Dean and the crew at Skeeter Boat Center in Ramsey, MN. These days the support after the sale is as important as the boat if anything were to ever happen. Since you already know the budget get in contact with Dean Marshall or Cal Svihel at Skeeter Boat Center and you will never regret the decision. 763-450-0400

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd sell him a gently used 617 tiller for much less than 60k.

In all seriousness, you need to think about whether or not you want resale value (reatta's shine here) or drop the coin and ride in comfort. Here's what I know, the nitro's will eat waves for breakfast, have padding under the carpet for all day fishing comfort, and don't look to bad besides the giant 21 on the hull.

I haven't ridden in a skeeter so I'm no help there.

The lund GL series are damn fine boats as well but I think the fit and finish on the inside is a little behind.

a 620/621 is never going to disappoint you, even if they are everywhere (which might have good reasoning behind it).

Just like a vehicle purchase, try to ride in them all.

- - - Updated - - -

And don't look past warrior boats either. how the company came back from death and the way they support veterans, I might make a switch in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I've ridden in SDMF's 186 yar one time. it didnt suck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the boat sitting in a marina, lift, or being trailered every outing?

If it's staying put in/on the water I'd be getting a long SOB like the guides are using.

- - - Updated - - -

also - what's his age, stamina, and overall approach to fishing?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to resell it in the future, don't cheap out. Nobody likes a cheapskate in the used market.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't someone just complaining about how Skeeter wasn't going to warranty gel coat cracks on a 1 yr old boat? If I remember correctly, the repair bill was estimated at $6k - $8k. Reason given is it wasn't "structural". That would surely keep me away from a Skeeter. Unless, of course, I could get it for $10-12k less than fair market value.

If I've inadvertently thrown the wrong manufacturer under the keel, I apologize.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
speaking of keel ---i am thinking of the one i posted a couple days ago u might want to check out recreation auction or one of those sights that 21foot yar will be for sale. Replace the motors with some one year old stuff new sittin in crates--- buff out the fiberglass -- pull out the wiring and put new in it - and maybe a windshield -- next thing you know you have the throttle down and you are passing by ahab and his grin turns into a frown. The bottom of that yar looks simple - how come so much speed out of those buggers.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't someone just complaining about how Skeeter wasn't going to warranty gel coat cracks on a 1 yr old boat? If I remember correctly, the repair bill was estimated at $6k - $8k. Reason given is it wasn't "structural". That would surely keep me away from a Skeeter. Unless, of course, I could get it for $10-12k less than fair market value.

If I've inadvertently thrown the wrong manufacturer under the keel, I apologize.

If you send pretty much anything to Ranger(Not sure if Riverfisher would make it, but probably), they have your back. I know that for a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Just prepare yourself for a southern accent.;)

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto. I've called Ranger a few times for miscellaneous things. Ordered a seat, dash piece I cracked, etc. When you give them your serial number they know everything about that boat in the exact color match for any part. Those guys definitely take pride in their boats

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
idk about tracker -- but sub chime in on this - imo if i was going to buy a boat that will last some years and go through some big water i would be looking at a nitro. To bad the sob doesnt come with a yamaha option. I still see old fiberglass targas for sale and they still hold a price. Sub cant one buy a nitro with a 250fitty for just a hair over 60. Wait till this fall and one never knows. The marine market is hot for now - it will cool.

Yeah, you could get into one, 1 to 2 years old for that price optioned out really nicely with a 300. I wish all boats were available with whichever engine you desired. I think you could get into a new one with a 250 Opti for around that price.

I will be honest, I thought the 350 Verado was going to kill me on fuel economy but it really isn't bad, all things considered.
with a 22.5 Bravo LT I set my throttle to around 10gph and worked the trim and jackplate until I got max mph out of it. At 38 mph it burns 10 gph. I did the same thing at 15gph and got 48mph out of it. So Im really happy with the 350 Verado.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can't afford a $60,000.00 boat anymore, had to move out of dads basement, said I couldn't use his boat anymore either, so I guess I have to shore fish for awhile

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think even Ranger only covers stress cracks in the gel coat for the first year. I think Skeeter is like 60 days. Your also paying about 20k more for the biggest ranger over the biggest skeeter.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I think we all know who owns them. From what I see Rangers still does their own stuff, and no quality control issues with newer models from what I hear

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys all know who owns Ranger Boats now right?

People with a brain?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, you could get into one, 1 to 2 years old for that price optioned out really nicely with a 300. I wish all boats were available with whichever engine you desired. I think you could get into a new one with a 250 Opti for around that price.

I will be honest, I thought the 350 Verado was going to kill me on fuel economy but it really isn't bad, all things considered.
with a 22.5 Bravo LT I set my throttle to around 10gph and worked the trim and jackplate until I got max mph out of it. At 38 mph it burns 10 gph. I did the same thing at 15gph and got 48mph out of it. So Im really happy with the 350 Verado.

Why the F are you talking about fuel economy with a 21 foot glass boat?

- - - Updated - - -

You guys all know who owns Ranger Boats now right?

You know it's still the same factory with all the old hillbillys, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto. I've called Ranger a few times for miscellaneous things. Ordered a seat, dash piece I cracked, etc. When you give them your serial number they know everything about that boat in the exact color match for any part. Those guys definitely take pride in their boats

This!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You

- - - Updated - - -

must

- - - Updated - - -

have

- - - Updated - - -

had

- - - Updated - - -