Deadliest Catch

Griz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which boat would you want to be on ? For me it was the Time Bandit !
Too bad it's not on the show anymore . But Jonathan is on the Saga.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There’s not enough $$ to get me to go do that job on any of those boats.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get seasick in one and two footers; your question is answered!! NONE

Hate to hijack this topic but I'm guessing more of us at home are watching a little more TV. Observations on a couple shows tonight:

That idiot son on Alaska Bush People that reels in a salmon with the spinning reel on top of the rod (upside down), then throws the rod down and hand lines it in is hard to watch.

I'm watching Homestead Rescue where they are down in TN driving a backroad and my eyes widen as I see Raney's son in the passengers seat with the shoulder part of the seat belt under his armpit. WTF??

I gotta get out!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Risto, it took me 10 years of dramamine to get over seasickness. I have watched so many people heaving their guts out with the white seasickness patch behind their ear. I think I could stand the swells in the Bering sea, but who knows. I'll never have the opportunity. I have been in some huge swells out of Half Moon Bay.

For those that have never experienced ocean swells they are not anything like lake waves. I think the only place that a person could experience ocean swells in the US would be on Superior on a very windy day. To experience big swells on the east coast you would have to be waaaayyyy out in the Atlantic so that the wind could have a significant effect on the water.

During the day I watch one hour of TV, Tucker Carlson, and listen to Rush for 3 hours in the morning when he is on. Other than that I read book(s) on my laptop and check eMails, text messages and NDA for new posts. I talk to friends/relatives on the phone. I'm in a 14 day quarantine from coming from CA until Friday and I am going stir crazy with this "ND spring" weather!!!

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah a wicked Tuna boat would be more my style, having said that if somebody said i could just jump on a crab boat for one trip and ride in the wheel house id still jump on in a heartbeat, probably the Cornelia. I've been out in some pretty nasty ocean swells and have never been sea sick, even when others where chumming, but those bearing sea swells are a whole different animal.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be fun to pick up a few extra bucks being a wicked tuna fisherman.

The thing i dont get on the show is when they bring the tuna in to get their price from the buyer on the dock...buyer just gives his price and thats it..i would think the guys on the boat would be trying to negotiate for a better price per pound for their catch. Shit..there is more arguing going on at a ball game with umps! haha.. fisherpeople just fall in line with what buyer quotes and that is that. Must be a "dont piss buyer off syndrome" or next catch will be a mere pittance per pound.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a good thing when new episodes of Deadliest Catch comes on; that means it's also nicer weather here in NoDak! The mental stress on the captains is way more than a body should endure in a three week season. I wonder where the ol' captain of the Saga is now-days (druggie)?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing i dont get on the show is when they bring the tuna in to get their price from the buyer on the dock...buyer just gives his price and thats it..i would think the guys on the boat would be trying to negotiate for a better price per pound for their catch. Shit..there is more arguing going on at a ball game with umps! haha.. fisherpeople just fall in line with what buyer quotes and that is that. Must be a "dont piss buyer off syndrome" or next catch will be a mere pittance per pound.

Its my understanding that they either take the price offered at the dock and get the immediate money, or they can take it to the auction themselves and hope for more. Much like many other commodities, i think bluefin is bought and sold multiple times until it reaches the consumer.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are some tough SOB's. I got "sea" sick last time out on Mille Lacs, so I'd probably last about an hour.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago I watched a behind-the-scenes Deadliest Catch where they documented how they filmed the episodes and how the camera crews got the shots. The interviewer asked one of the cameramen how he was doing after 3 days of seasickness: "I'd punch my grandmother in the face right now if it meant I could get off this boat"

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Several years ago I watched a behind-the-scenes Deadliest Catch where they documented how they filmed the episodes and how the camera crews got the shots. The interviewer asked one of the cameramen how he was doing after 3 days of seasickness: "I'd punch my grandmother in the face right now if it meant I could get off this boat"

When a person gets seasick he thinks he could die ... then when it gets worse he worries that he won't!!!

In 1991 when I still had seasickness problems I went on an overnight albacore trip with a friend on his 42' trawler. I just hunkered down in the cabin for the 10 hours out. When we started to fish I was unable to help. We quit when it got dark, had supper and slept on the boat. When I got up the next day it was like getting up at home. No more seasickness all day.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only been in the ocean a few times, off CA. Didn't bother me, but I was considerably younger then.

I think (I could be very wrong) what would get me about the Deadliest Catch, would be the constant cold. I'm born and raised ND boy, but being cold and wet for days on end... no thanks.

Tuna fishing is more my speed. They're wearing shorts and flip flops.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta say Northwestern because he always get his crab. You know you're going to get paid on that boat. Another one is the Wizard. Keith gets it done too but I think I'd rather punch him in the suck hole. He's such a d!ck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33