Deck advice for guy

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never personally built a deck, however had several homes with decks, patios, front steps etc. Never seem to have any issues, have has some concrete crack, but that is more a visual issue than anything.
Is it more a red river valley issue?

★ Legendary Member
One other thing I did on this last deck that I think looks much better is a picture frame on the edge of the deck boards instead of just laying them across the joists from end to end. sorry the picture isn't the best. I decided against a 45 as I didn't want to worry about any bending of the trex at the points. I also did an over hang of the picture frame boards over the skirt boards which I think looks better as well. Good luck with your planning.
deck1.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

still shopping around and hemming and hawing

but this crap is amazing and I've settled on its advantages for me deck

especially with regards to avoiding injury to Royce and myself - the traction blows the others away (except for Zuri)

https://www.deckorators.com/en/Products/Decking/Voyage.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

totally inorganic - nothing for mold/bacteria to use as a snack - zero thermal expansion, yadda

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta love decks, but just finished shoveling mine, 2.5' to 4.5' on mine. Ish ka bibble.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too am worried about my deck on the east side of the house, as it is loaded with a grill, furniture, a LP fire pit, a black stone, and about 8 ft. of snow.
I feel like I should do something with all that weight on it, however I will not be doing anything and letting shit roll as she may

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

still shopping around and hemming and hawing

but this crap is amazing and I've settled on its advantages for me deck

especially with regards to avoiding injury to Royce and myself - the traction blows the others away (except for Zuri)

https://www.deckorators.com/en/Products/Decking/Voyage.aspx

- - - Updated - - -

totally inorganic - nothing for mold/bacteria to use as a snack - zero thermal expansion, yadda
the only problem with traction is that it causes dirt to stick and embed. You end up pressure washing it a lot.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always keep our decks cleaned of snow. 30 year old cedar decks still in good shape. Maintenance is much cheaper than replacement.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you can employ your summer pool boy year- round as a winter snow shoveling deck boy? Thanks in advance

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5