Deer Scent Blocker

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy has made me a believer in his Ozonic but just can't get myself to buy one. Anymore what I do is when needed the sent killer/dead down wind laundry soap for clothes, scentless deodorant, dead down wind body soap and for a field spray if I use anything is something with a fresh earth smell. The fresh earth is more of a cover than anything I guess plus I kind of like the smell. Otherwise playing the wind is key.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
marlboro reds

1698871806799.png

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad was always a believer is the cheap little pink mints and lemon drops when I was a kid during rifle. He filled his deer tag so couldn't argue I guess.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always eat an apple on my way to the stand. But I hate littering, so I pick it up the core on my way home if it doesn't get stolen by some varmint.

Truth be told, I've watched deer walk into the wind to a spot I'd taken a leak just minutes earlier, so there's something about smells and what about them that scares deer I clearly don't understand.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Play the wind for one. And I started using Nose Jammer. Smells just like vanilla. Got it as a gift from my wife. started using it and it does work really well. Have had deer come in from down wind in an open field. I used to use all the spray stuff I do not anymore.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your go-to scent control? Do you use laundry detergent, spray, etc.?
I don't know about this Nose Jammer.

IMHO all this other crap is defeated by your breath. Back in the day back in the Hills; Pard's dad got cold on stand. Back then "stand" was maybe a HotSeat and a tree to lean against. He built a fire, got comfortable and an hour later killed a decent 8pt calmly working it's way through the oak flat in front of him. From that day on he stashed/brought firewood to his stand and was warm at the brass monkey balls time at first sunrise.

Yes; he had a great spot yet he was consistently successful with his fire shooting calm deer (rifle). Deer are not generally afraid of vehicles until/unless they're associated with gunfire etc. IMO (and Dad's) it's due to zero human (predatory) scent. All they smell is exhaust if anything. I think Paul's fire serves the same cover and masks breath.

I guess by the same logic you may could slap a skunk around in a HavaHart trap with your bibs. Smoking a cigar would cause too much sudden movement.

That is all.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

IMHO all this other crap is defeated by your breath. Back in the day back in the Hills; Pard's dad got cold on stand. Back then "stand" was maybe a HotSeat and a tree to lean against. He built a fire, got comfortable and an hour later killed a decent 8pt calmly working it's way through the oak flat in front of him. From that day on he stashed/brought firewood to his stand and was warm at the brass monkey balls time at first sunrise.

Yes; he had a great spot yet he was consistently successful with his fire shooting calm deer (rifle). Deer are not generally afraid of vehicles until/unless they're associated with gunfire etc. IMO (and Dad's) it's due to zero human (predatory) scent. All they smell is exhaust if anything. I think Paul's fire serves the same cover and masks breath.

I guess by the same logic you may could slap a skunk around in a HavaHart trap with your bibs. Smoking a cigar would cause too much sudden movement.

That is all.
That was rifle, right? I'm trying my hand at bow hunting.....should've specified in the OP. Imagine a fire at 25 yards isn't ideal.

Then again, it would make for an epic video memory if I sat behind a raging bonfire and shot through the flames!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was rifle, right? I'm trying my hand at bow hunting.....should've specified in the OP. Imagine a fire at 25 yards isn't ideal.

Then again, it would make for an epic video memory if I sat behind a raging bonfire and shot through the flames!
Yes, rifle:

This could be modified for a tree stand especially with a lot of green pine boughs. You wouldn't want the "bonfire" raging at first shooting light. (?)

I'm trying to convince a pard back in the Hills to light a couple "Hallmark" candles in his ground blind. As you know from my fishing posts I like to tweak with shit.

Good luck!!

Also:

1698895979112.png

^^^^This killed Paul.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, rifle:

This could be modified for a tree stand especially with a lot of green pine boughs. You wouldn't want the "bonfire" raging at first shooting light. (?)

I'm trying to convince a pard back in the Hills to light a couple "Hallmark" candles in his ground blind. As you know from my fishing posts I like to tweak with shit.

Good luck!!
What scent of Hallmark candle would you recommend? Vanilla?

I still think a super slo-mo of an arrow parting flames and hitting the bread basket would be epic....I digress

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What scent of Hallmark candle would you recommend? Vanilla?

I still think a super slo-mo of an arrow parting flames and hitting the bread basket would be epic....I digress

I don't think you should use the initial trial as a lure unless the original lure can be complimented. IE: Apple/apple. This has various applications and ranges. Shoot does. Spare little bucks. Enjoy the "Recipe" Forum.

One thing I've thought of: Dissolve salt in cider and spray about...

That is all.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

That is all.
I recall numerous times when hunting when I was young with my Uncles and cousin. When we took our lunch break we would build a small fire to warm up and toast our sandwiches. It always amazed me how often deer would approach us -- fire going and talking. I think the smoke doesn't scare them and they are very interested in what it is.

My hunting buddy keeps his exterior hunting clothes out in the barn where it became permeated with barn smells - cows, manure, feed etc. He has shot many deer wearing those clothes while standing on his all-day stands.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at getting a battery operated oil diffuser once and using a vanilla, or apple scented oil. I haven't looked into this much, but I am surprised there isn't something like this on the market that would also have a doe urine scent a guy can burn.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew a mechanic that would hunt in his work clothes. He smelled just like a truck with the oil, grease, gas, and other automobile stinks. Shot lots of deer and never once mentioned being busted. I think if deer can learn to live in the suburbs in folk's back yards, they can learn to do the same in the country. I know I've had lots of nice bucks on camera a few minutes after I refreshed the corn pile. They had to smell and hear me. I think if it gives you confidence to spend more time in the stand.....more power to you. Be Safe out there guys.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of all that stuff is a gimmick and the companies are laughing all the way to the bank. With that said, I've had luck with nose jammer. Not sure why? Its not a scent killer cuz there is no such thing. More of a cover up/hide scent maybe? Anyway, have put on bottom of boots and a spray on a tree next to me or even on coat a bit if on ground. Ive had deer walk right up to me on the ground a few times. Even had a doe smell the spot on trunk where I sprayed it then lay down and sleep. Coincidence....maybe? Fred Bear used nothing but flannel shirts and wind!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew a mechanic that would hunt in his work clothes. He smelled just like a truck with the oil, grease, gas, and other automobile stinks. Shot lots of deer and never once mentioned being busted. I think if deer can learn to live in the suburbs in folk's back yards, they can learn to do the same in the country. I know I've had lots of nice bucks on camera a few minutes after I refreshed the corn pile. They had to smell and hear me. I think if it gives you confidence to spend more time in the stand.....more power to you. Be Safe out there guys.
That reminds me of my dad, had an old orange shirt for years that was dirty, greasy, diesel fuel, silage you name it along with his normal farm work clothes. When I used to be out and about wondering more often checking fence, exploring, scouting off season, etc I feel like I got busted less than I do now, probably because they were used to seeing and smelling me. Like I said if I use anything at all it is something with a dirt smell. Also don't recommend spraying deer piss on a hub blind unless you enjoy that smell I guess.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a set of discontinued cabelas scent loc all orange hunting suit, I to use the spray on all my clothing and I always leave my clothes in gunny sack bag with my scent drag and leaves dirt and corn dust outside either in my pickup box or hanging from my clothes line, once i start hunting my clothes never come inside they are always left outside until a bag my deer. I have to walk anywhere from a mile to reach one of my stands and when walking you are going to sweat it can't be helped but I'm a real strong believer in the scent drag, I have walked my same trail to my stand and have seen many deer assuming buck rubs along the path.
The scent bag I have is old was my grandfather's that he actually used while checking his trap line and dad used it as well, then dad made it for deer hunting. Using deer stands has only been common for my family for approximately 20 years or so before thar we would push everything that wasn't posted or we had permission to hunt. Now it's baiting and tree stands, so the idea of the scent bag for my family came from the idea of running trap lines where animals will always know you have been there and using some sort of bait and natural scents is the only way you can out smart a smart animal, using their smell against them. Never tried any of the fancy stuff yet and probably has more to do with the idea if it works why do I need to try something else.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You are the dinner bell. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93