Deer Scent Blocker

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your go-to scent control? Do you use laundry detergent, spray, etc.?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't hunt much anymore but when I did I used Scent Killer products, laundry detergent and the spray. After washing my clothes I'd air dry outside then put them in a tote or garbage bag with some fresh earth scent wafers. Wait until I was ready to walk to my spot before changing into my clothes and rubber boots then spray myself and gear.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the scent killer detergent just so my hunting clothes don’t smell like laundry soap but I guess I’m not sure why. If you hunt without the wind in your favor it’s probably not going to end in your favor very often. I know people who smoke cigars or cigarettes right before they crawl in the stand and if the wind is favorable they have deer in front of them.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Imitation vanilla extract. More so an attractant i guess. But was all I ever used after experimenting with all the other expensive scent stuff. Can also pull a rag with it sprayed on as you walk into your blind. Just make sure you have a shooting lane. They will come.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Focus on other things - you're not going to win the scent game. If you're breathing, and they wind your breath, you're busted.

Also - my observation is that walking into blinds/stands with rubber boots so as not to leave scent, etc. is malarky. I have hundreds of examples of deer visiting cameras or using trails minutes after I was on them whilst I was not giving two craps about leaving scent (leather boots, peeing, whatever).
I have video of deer eating apples my mom threw on the ground (individually by hand) 5 minutes after she did it. And this was a once off occurrence - not some routine feeding they were used to.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I use the scent killer detergent just so my hunting clothes don’t smell like laundry soap but I guess I’m not sure why. If you hunt without the wind in your favor it’s probably not going to end in your favor very often. I know people who smoke cigars or cigarettes right before they crawl in the stand and if the wind is favorable they have deer in front of them.
Exactly. I know multiple dudes that wear their orange clothing to the Bar/StripClubs partying til close the night before opener. All shoot nice deer the next morning smelling like stripper perfume and glitter still on their noses.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed a damn nice buck once which i attributed to nose jammer and evercalm stick on the bottom of my boots. The does knew something was amiss. They pranced around for about 25 minutes trying to get to the bottom of the disturbance. The key part of the story is they never blew and ran, just kept walking around trying to make sense of it. All of the deer activity rousted the buck from his cattail bed and he walked right below my stand.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed a damn nice buck once which i attributed to nose jammer and evercalm stick on the bottom of my boots. The does knew something was amiss. They pranced around for about 25 minutes trying to get to the bottom of the disturbance. The key part of the story is they never blew and ran, just kept walking around trying to make sense of it. All of the deer activity rousted the buck from his cattail bed and he walked right below my stand.
no pics, didn't happen 😜

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to do all that scent eliminating stuff.
Then I bought a box blind and an oxonics. Have never worry about the wind direction any more to tell you the truth. Sometimes I'll have 10-15 deer directly down wind some right by the window some laying down..not a clue. I'll spray nose jammer or scent thief or just plain imitation vanilla on me and all around in the blind as well. But if I get to the blind without the ozonics I'll drive all the way back to get it, it works that well. No more nosey old does blowing and stomping around.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If hunting in a pasture, a little cow crap on your boots work, if hunting near a oil well a little oil your boots work to, deer think your just part of the scenery

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put a bunch of scent on once.
When i left stand in dark had a bunch of coyotes within a few yards of stand in brush that i did not know they were there.
Would not leave even as i holler at them.
All they did was holler back at me and circle me. Had a mile walk back to vehicle in trees. Only weapon was a bow. However, they did not follow me but would not shut up. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88