I HATE coyotes!!!!

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sucks that the fur price is so low recreational coyote hunting is a fraction of what it used to be. I fear the fur price may never come back to what it used to be. I have never seen the amount of coyote problems that cow calf producers are having in my area as this year. I remember two years ago sitting in the deer blind with no snow on the ground watching some does. A coyote happened to howl about a mile away and I was shocked how head on a swivel and scared the does became. So that tells me that even with no snow on the ground they must get a few deer even then. Imagine on a year like this where the deer bog down in the snow and the coyotes can run on top how many they get. I realize alot of deer may have died this year due to starving but I bet we would be shocked to see the real number the coyotes take. I think the game and fish need to start thinking out of the box to try to get the coyote numbers down some. I'm not sure this is the answer but maybe you shouldn't be allowed to get a buck tag unless you show some type of evidence that you have killed a coyote in the last year. I think a better idea would be if you know how you tag fish, what if they tagged 40 or 50 coyotes thoughout the state and they had a bounty of $500 to $1000. And then it shouldn't get announced how many tagged coyotes were turned in so people would keep hunting.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, but recreational coyote hunting will never put a serious dent in the population. For every coyote killed, there's probably 2 or 3 that are educated by hunters that don't know what they're doing. Also, thinning out a few just makes it easier for the rest to survive, resulting in larger litters, so you're not moving the needle.
My brother kills between 60 and 90 every year hunting the same ranches. That sounds like a lot, but if he was making a significant reduction, he wouldn't be able to do it year after year.

Trapping and snaring are more effective, but I think it takes aerial gunning to really make a dent. In SD they kill hundreds in a single day that way.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
After the Nov snows plugged a couple of roads there was a 4-section area where coyotes just stayed out in the middle, give or take a mile from any roads. You could watch them, eventually they might wander over a hill, but not ever any closer to one road or the other. 12-14 different coyotes you could count out in the open where you could easily ID that they weren't the same dog on any given day. That's just the dogs that would let you see them.

If half of them are female and the average coyote litter is ~6, that's 35-40 new coyotes come spring, again, just by the dogs that would lay out in the open.

Doubtful hunting will put a dent in them.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, killing them will sure not lead to increasing the numbers for next year. Every dead one this year may mean 5 or 6 less next year and that count will go on.

Catch a few and give then the mange or put the bug on the carcass they may eat on.
Not sure if mange is a bug or what but i believe an outbreak of mange will take care of a few.
Kid and his buddy got thermal scores and that made a big different in their kills this year.
I believe a program of killing by a bunch, airplane, sled, tract side by side, whatever will help big time and a bounty would be nice. Just need to keep at it.
If one kills 50 to a couple of hundred in an area it is bound to have an effect going forward. And then do it every year.
Just like killing a bunch of deer in an area. I am told that ruins deer hunting for the future. db

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Back a long time ago when I was young they had a 2.oo bounty on fox. They cut off the ear tips for proof and you could sell the pelt. Here's my imput Have say 20 buck tags statewide for drawing. For every set of yote ear tips you get a chance at a tag. Seems fair to me and you do what ever you want with pelt. LB

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mange will get them all, when they to populated

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When i was a kid one brought in a gopher tail. Then they got wise to that and wanted a rear leg. One day my dad told my mother there were a lot of three leg gophers in the pasture. Needed to keep the breeding stock going for the 25 cents.

Maybe an ear would be enough on a coyote. db

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
After the Nov snows plugged a couple of roads there was a 4-section area where coyotes just stayed out in the middle, give or take a mile from any roads. You could watch them, eventually they might wander over a hill, but not ever any closer to one road or the other. 12-14 different coyotes you could count out in the open where you could easily ID that they weren't the same dog on any given day. That's just the dogs that would let you see them.

If half of them are female and the average coyote litter is ~6, that's 35-40 new coyotes come spring, again, just by the dogs that would lay out in the open.

Doubtful hunting will put a dent in them.

They always know where the middle is. Or the hill to stand on. Or the area with a hwy or some other obstruction in the backdrop. Or when I don't have a rifle with me. I know this..For next year I will have a lightweight suppressed AR, sighted in for MPBR, that will ALWAYS be in my pickup. And a LRF.

I've never had a rifle sighted in for MPBR before. But after all my misses this year, I think it might be the way to go for a coyote truck gun..

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They always know where the middle is. Or the hill to stand on. Or the area with a hwy or some other obstruction in the backdrop. Or when I don't have a rifle with me. I know this..For next year I will have a lightweight suppressed AR, sighted in for MPBR, that will ALWAYS be in my pickup. And a LRF.

I've never had a rifle sighted in for MPBR before. But after all my misses this year, I think it might be the way to go for a coyote truck gun..
What does MPBR and LRF mean?

Just carry a rifle year round.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Not in a suitable condition to be euthanized"........I wonder what that means

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/04/22/fargo-police-searching-coyote/
Without this??? :oops:

1682338368744.png

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The story actually says "not in a suitable position". I interpreted this as meaning they weren't excited to open fire on it in town.
Ah, that would make more sense. Words are hard for me sometimes 🤣

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's OK fellas. They're probably relatives of the ones I have so now they'll be depressed for thanksgiving and won't be in the mood to chase the deer as much. Thanks for the pics. It brightened my day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84