long range rifles?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do have one rifle with a Stiller Predator action, other than that they're all based off of model 70 or model 700s.

I can say that the rifle with the stiller is an absolute laser!! Nevertheless, that's the only one I've ever messed with so I can't say it makes that much of a difference.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice to read through a thread like this. Several years ago I worked with a guy who did some competition shooting and I was able to pick his brain from time to time. I've probably forgot most of what he told me. As others have said it is a rabbit hole researching the stuff on the internet and youtube. So I've come to the experts for thoughts and opinions.
I do not reload so I've been leaning towards 6.5 creed because of the availability, choice of loadings, and cost of ammo. Now you guys have me wondering if I am better off finding a gunsmith and going the custom route or fierce, etc.? My idea has been to buy a tikka t3 (?), replace the stock with a manners or mcmillan , maybe a new barrel down the road. By the time I eventually upgrade most of the rifle , I may have spent "custom" money anyway (as mentioned above). How much is a custom when the dust settles, 3-5K?
I've been told in the past and i read atleast a few of the comments suggesting basing it off a 700. Are there advantages to using a 700 action vs. a tikka or etc. action? Is it because of availability, accuracy, etc.?
Thanks for the responses. I have been kicking around the idea for quite a while now and I've been stashing cash for a new toy and i may get the ball rolling finally this year.
The 700 action was built so good with some machine works it was perfect in ole days vs other companies. With all the new custom actions based off 700 it is a way better deal cost wise about $800 to machine a 700 to perfection with good trigger too. I have alot of 700 factory actions done because that was cats meow back than, not now new custom stuff is just so much nicer for all around better gun for another 3 to 5 hundred dollars more.

Last edited:

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I pressed the easy button. Just picked up the seekins Precision havak hit in a 6 creed. Shoot like a dream. Imo it's probably as close as you can get to going custom in a factory gun (as far as barreled action is concerned) without the extreme coat of the custom rifle. The rifle will shoot better than me

Plus I like the fact I can spin a barrel on by hand to change the caliber.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input fellas. I've got some thinking to do. One thing I've appreciated about the comments here has been the references to available brands of actions and barrels etc. that I was not aware of because I'm not in the loop as you guys are. I've known of fierce, seekins, proof etc.. I did happen to pick up a seekins at scheels in bismarck last month and handled it, they seem nice. I also grabbed a used left hand christianson in 6.5 creed . The christianson had sort of a traditiional stock and I think I should be looking for a higher comb or adjustable comb, so I put it back on the shelf pretty quick.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input fellas. I've got some thinking to do. One thing I've appreciated about the comments here has been the references to available brands of actions and barrels etc. that I was not aware of because I'm not in the loop as you guys are. I've known of fierce, seekins, proof etc.. I did happen to pick up a seekins at scheels in bismarck last month and handled it, they seem nice. I also grabbed a used left hand christianson in 6.5 creed . The christianson had sort of a traditiional stock and I think I should be looking for a higher comb or adjustable comb, so I put it back on the shelf pretty quick.
And it’s a Christensen. Good choice putting that back

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any merit at all to the M70 action? It seemed a favorite in Viet Nam or is that just because of availability?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any merit at all to the M70 action? It seemed a favorite in Viet Nam or is that just because of availability?
Sure, my strong preference would be "Classic" actions from '92-06, the earlier the better with the old-style "open" trigger and I prefer Stainless Steel to blued chrome-moly. The downside is weight vs. a 700 footprint and in factory form, the mag-boxes are short in all but the Creed/PRC families and with McMillan bowing out of inletting for them, the aftermarket is small and expensive. In the short actions you can replace a standard 2.8" mag box with a 3" WSM box as they're still easily available. In long-actions you'd need to have rat-holed some "H&H" mag-boxes to go from 3.34" to 3.6" COAL as well as the shorter H&H bolt-stop and blade-ejector. Sub-10Min job moving box-guts, ejector, and bolt-stop around. Sub 2-min job to just swap boxes in the short action.

The Red, White, and Blue rifle from my 1st post on this thread is a "Winchester". It's stamped FN Herstal, but those stampings are the only thing "FN" about the rifle. It's a short-action M70 through and through. I also re-barreled a SS Classic from 7Rem Mag to 257Wby as it's just a barrel-swap, everything else stays the same.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
And it’s a Christensen. Good choice putting that back
I have not really heard anything about them. Good or bad.I have noticed that I can find a used left hand bergara for sale every once in a while. It's so uncommon for me to find used left hand bolts in a store that it makes me wonder.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not really heard anything about them. Good or bad.I have noticed that I can find a used left hand bergara for sale every once in a while. It's so uncommon for me to find used left hand bolts in a store that it makes me wonder.
If you're left-handed it'd be pretty hard for your search not to start and end with Tikka.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're left-handed it'd be pretty hard for your search not to start and end with Tikka.
It seems that way. I think i've made up my mind. $1100 and change for a tikka with a adjustable comb stock and threaded barrel leaves plenty for good glass and some more for a good bipod etc. Thanks guys. Maybe my next one will be custom.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Tikka aftermarket gets better every day. It doesn't have as many options as the "Rem 700 or Savage bolt-action Footprints", but, it's probably tied @ 3rd w/Ruger for aftermarket options like stocks, scope mounts, etc.

If you decide someday to re-barrel the Tikka I think there's a few companies making a "barrel-nut" setup so you can do it yourself. A gunsmith that can thread/chamber for a Rem 700 should be able to do the same for a Tikka if you don't want to do the "nut" setup.

The Tikka comes with a very nice adjustable trigger from the factory, it's unlikely you'll ever need to swap it out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going with the tikka you’re much better off. To many problems for the price with Christensen and customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems that way. I think i've made up my mind. $1100 and change for a tikka with a adjustable comb stock and threaded barrel leaves plenty for good glass and some more for a good bipod etc. Thanks guys. Maybe my next one will be custom.
If your looking for any tikka aftermarket gizmos send me a pm. I have done an extensive amount of research and would be happy to point you in 1 or 3 diffrent directions.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Know nothing about all these new rifles and all this custom work but have my long gun, 1000 yards coming, a model 1 Ruger in 300 Weatherby. All built by Americans, no/yes. Now to find a buffalo at 1000 yards.

My dad, back in the fifties took an American Enfield 30-06, cut the barrel down and modify the rear site with a hand grinder (site guards), put a peep site on, bought a carved stock for it (running whitetails). I did help with the work. Was an order mail gun, less than $30 (i believe maybe $19) and i am sure no paperwork.
Would that be a custom-made rifle from that time?
Came solid grease, gave it to my brother who then hunted with it. db

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No nothing about all these new rifles and all this custom work but have my long gun, 1000 yards coming, a model 1 Ruger in 300 Weatherby. All built by Americans, no/yes. Now to find a buffalo at 1000 yards.

My dad, back in the fifties took an American Enfield 30-06, cut the barrel down and modify the rear site with a hand grinder (site guards), put a peep site on, bought a carved stock for it (running whitetails). I did help with the work. Was an order mail gun, less than $30 (i believe maybe $19) and i am sure no paperwork.
Would that be a custom-made rifle from that time?
Came solid grease, gave it to my brother who then hunted with it. db
Why would he take a grinder after a Enfield as it came with a peep sight.
1710038242261.png

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t own a Tikka. I don’t even think I’ve pulled the trigger on one. I may have to remedy that. 😬

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1lessdog:
Why, i was young and never question. Why take 2 inches off the barrel and put a different front site on. Will never know why and i assume he had his reason.
At the time i did not understand but it was not for me to question.

The stock with a comb and carved running whitetails was beautiful. Not laser but carved. db

Maybe in time a scope to get the junk out of the way.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
db2 my dad did about the same thing to a Swedish 6.5 Mauser in the 1950s. The sport shops sure liked that 1968 gun control bill that forced us to buy from them. I still remember dad trying to make up his mind. Heavy use military were $9, light use were $19, and unfired in heavy cosmolin were $29.

My long range is a custom built 300wm that I left the barrel 28.5 inches. It has a heavy Bartlien 5R barrel that pushes a 210gr Burger VLD at 3060 fps with Retumbo. I also have a Savage 110 Stealth ( in 6.5 Creed) that I screwed a heavy 26 inch Criterion barrel on. The same guy that built my 300wm also built a 308w with a Bartlien 5R barrel on a tuned Remington 700 action. I also have another 6.5 Creedmoor that had been a Savage 22-250 that I screwed a Criterion barrel on and dropped into a Boyd laminated stock. The black spot on the forearm is velcro for the red light remote switch.

Attachments

20231218_183650.jpg
Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t own a Tikka. I don’t even think I’ve pulled the trigger on one. I may have to remedy that.
I heard all hype about these to. Guy at work had one in 243 he was going to trade it to Scheels so I got a good deal, it is good shooter.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going with the tikka you’re much better off. To many problems for the price with Christensen and customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
I will have to agree tried several models kid can shoot low comb me I need good check piece so tried Traverse fit and balance so good but shoot like junk, kid tried Mesa was same. They sure look nice fit nice just dont shoot worth crap. Maybe some are good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84