long range rifles?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This was at 1000 yards actually. Not my best group but I believe it was the first time at 1000 with this rifle. I have a couple others but this one is my baby.

FNA3G, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56, with Dots
155 Palmas @ 3000
Just about as much Varget as you can stuff in a case.

1709855399556.jpeg

Last edited:

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice to read through a thread like this. Several years ago I worked with a guy who did some competition shooting and I was able to pick his brain from time to time. I've probably forgot most of what he told me. As others have said it is a rabbit hole researching the stuff on the internet and youtube. So I've come to the experts for thoughts and opinions.
I do not reload so I've been leaning towards 6.5 creed because of the availability, choice of loadings, and cost of ammo. Now you guys have me wondering if I am better off finding a gunsmith and going the custom route or fierce, etc.? My idea has been to buy a tikka t3 (?), replace the stock with a manners or mcmillan , maybe a new barrel down the road. By the time I eventually upgrade most of the rifle , I may have spent "custom" money anyway (as mentioned above). How much is a custom when the dust settles, 3-5K?
I've been told in the past and i read atleast a few of the comments suggesting basing it off a 700. Are there advantages to using a 700 action vs. a tikka or etc. action? Is it because of availability, accuracy, etc.?
Thanks for the responses. I have been kicking around the idea for quite a while now and I've been stashing cash for a new toy and i may get the ball rolling finally this year.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to change the thread subject.....hahha..but what sidearm would you chose to dispatch of a moose close range? On another thread a musher in the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska had to dispatch a moose that was threatening/attacking his dog team on the trail. I will be checking to see what weapon he had on him. What say you? By the way, he is a 5 time winner of the Iditarod so assume he knows what to pack...just wondering what you guys would arm yourself with. Thanks!!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm interested in an accurate small-caliber rifle. 22mag or 17. I want cheap bullets but accurate out to 200 yds. Semi-Auto preferably. Can't break the bank just asking if anyone knows whats good.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'm interested in an accurate small-caliber rifle. 22mag or 17. I want cheap bullets but accurate out to 200 yds. Semi-Auto preferably. Can't break the bank just asking if anyone knows whats good.
I have both the Savage A17 and A22 Mag, The 22Mag works fine but the A17 sucks. Could have a bad mag for the 17 but it hangs up a lot.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to change the thread subject.....hahha..but what sidearm would you chose to dispatch of a moose close range? On another thread a musher in the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska had to dispatch a moose that was threatening/attacking his dog team on the trail. I will be checking to see what weapon he had on him. What say you? By the way, he is a 5 time winner of the Iditarod so assume he knows what to pack...just wondering what you guys would arm yourself with. Thanks!!
XDM elite 10mm would be my choice. 16+1 capacity if I remember correctly.

And make sure that it was throughly cleaned and lubed for cold weather function

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have both the Savage A17 and A22 Mag, The 22Mag works fine but the A17 sucks. Could have a bad mag for the 17 but it hangs up a lot.
I have a savage A17 that shoots lights out but like yours the magazine sucks

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Griz country?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's nice to read through a thread like this. Several years ago I worked with a guy who did some competition shooting and I was able to pick his brain from time to time. I've probably forgot most of what he told me. As others have said it is a rabbit hole researching the stuff on the internet and youtube. So I've come to the experts for thoughts and opinions.
I do not reload so I've been leaning towards 6.5 creed because of the availability, choice of loadings, and cost of ammo. Now you guys have me wondering if I am better off finding a gunsmith and going the custom route or fierce, etc.? My idea has been to buy a tikka t3 (?), replace the stock with a manners or mcmillan , maybe a new barrel down the road. By the time I eventually upgrade most of the rifle , I may have spent "custom" money anyway (as mentioned above). How much is a custom when the dust settles, 3-5K?
I've been told in the past and i read atleast a few of the comments suggesting basing it off a 700. Are there advantages to using a 700 action vs. a tikka or etc. action? Is it because of availability, accuracy, etc.?
Thanks for the responses. I have been kicking around the idea for quite a while now and I've been stashing cash for a new toy and i may get the ball rolling finally this year.
I have about $1700 into my rifle before optics and supressor.
Granted I already had a tikka that I used for a donor action so I have not figured that into the above price.

I have been debating another build in the next year or so but haven't made any decisions as of yet. Currently thinking I'll use an aero precision solus action and a carbon 6 barrel. Leaning toward a 284 winchester or maybe do some research into short action 25 calibers. I also have another tikka in 300wsm that I might sacrifice and turn into a 33 nosler but again I haven't made any decisions yet.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rifle enthusiasts on NDA (not me BTW) are damn lucky to have these gurus to bounce questions off of.

What an easily dismissed benefit of NDA.
It's a damn shame the site is totally dedicated to politics and useless videos. If only there were a forum menu of sort to research a topic and garner anecdotes from experience.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A 700 isn’t a better or worse choice for the basis of a custom than any other action, but, there’s exponentially more options/availability for 700 footprints than any other action option since bolt action rifles became “a thing”.

Although I suggested it earlier in the thread, I don’t have a chassis nor a rifle set up with a “barrel nut”, but I would if starting fresh for simplicity sake. A 700 footprint, in a chassis, with a quick-change barrel setup makes the rifle into basically a minimal tool LEGO set. Ready-made simplicity with nearly unlimited options.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the others, if your main premise is a 1,000 yard gun for hitting steel it's hard to argue against the 6-7 mm calibers. Great balistics with reasonable recoil. My prefrence is in the PRC's but even a good 308 or 7mm08 will do the trick if setup right. There's lots of great factory guns that are pretty damn accurate these days and like others have said, you probably need to spend about as much on the scope as the gun, atleast to a point. Lots of guns will accurately shoot to a 1,000 yards, but if you don't have a good dial-able scope that tracts reliably and accurately, and has enough zoom and clarity, then it's all for nothing.

Not long ago I had a similar goal, 1000+ yard gun for steel, but I also wanted light weight (<10lbs) to be used as a long range hunting rifle. Something that would be good for deer and antelope out to 700-800 yards and 500 or so for elk; and I know I'm not a re-loader, so wanted to be able to do it with factory ammo. Ended up with a Fierce Firearms Carbon CT with a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 in a 6.5 PRC shooting 147 ELDM's. It's exceeded all of my expectations and has made it fun to target shoot after many years of shooting big calibers with lots of recoil that drove me away from the range. It's also brought a new level of meaning to spot, stock, and sniper when I'm hunting. It's far and away my favorite gun in the arsenal.

Along with that one, I have a cheap Rugar American in a 6.5 creed with an inexpensive 4-16 power Vortex diamondback scope and also a 7mm08 Xblot with a 5-25 Vortex Viper PST. Both are fun to shoot. The creed has exceeded all expectations for a gun that I don't have much more tha $800 into. Zero issues at 500 yards, after that my eyes need a better scope but I think the gun is capable of more. But for a cheap rifle/scope package, it's a great gun that shoots 143ELDx very well. The 7mm08 is deffintely a much nicer higher quality setup, however, it's been a little more chalanging find good factory ammo that shoots reliabily. Just got that one last summer for the kid so and as it sits its a reliable 500-600 yard gun. I believe I setteled on nosler trophy grade 140 grain accubonds as the best factory pil for that gun towards the end of last summer. Hopeing stretch that one out to a 1,000 yards this summer.
I've experience with a pard's Ruger American in .308. IMHO the ugly damn thing would hold it's own in a 1000yd match with Hornady factory fodder equipped with the proper optic.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you decide on a bolt, a Marlin with bull bbl is a laser in .17 IME.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

You would do just fine with your Tikka idea. There are other companies nowadays that also make some good stocks, so do some research on that. Aftermarkets parts for Tikkas has exploded in the last few years, so no worries there.

I've built 3 customs, and the two that were built off Rem 700 actions were around 3k. My last build that was a Defiance action, carbon barrel, was around $4k-4200. I'm not sure I would go the custom route again. It's a pain to source parts, I always wished I had done something different, and re-sale on them seems to tank pretty quick.

Seekins Havak Element for $3k is the easy button. Scheels has them, as well as a number of other higher end production rifles you could check out and research.

FWIW, I started my LR experience with a factory Rem 700 SPS Varmint, swapped out the stock and trigger, and got to shooting.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

So, I think you got this, but just to be clear, when we say "700 footprint" or "700-based", we're not talking about actual Remington 700 actions, but custom actions that are compatible with Remington 700 stocks, triggers, etc. Some examples include those from American Rifle Company, Zermatt Arms, Defiance, etc.
And yes, the advantage is the options that gives you. There's dozens of actions to pick from, and they're all better than any factory rifle action, so it just depends on what features you want. And you have many more options for a stock / chassis, trigger, bottom metal, etc.

The Tikka action is highly regarded as likely the best factory rifle action, and people do build custom guns off of them, but like you said, by the time you're done replacing stuff, you could have just gone full custom.

Since you don't reload, imo, 6.5 Creed is the best choice. Since it was designed to shoot long, slippery bullets, pretty much all factory ammo (and there's a lot of choices) is loaded with them. My personal favorite is the Hornady Match 140 ELDM. It groups (in my rifle) just as well as my reloads. The only way my loads beat it is with more consistent muzzle velocity.

6 Creed wouldn't be a bad choice either, but the 6.5 beats it in the wind at range, and of course in energy on target, but at the cost of increased recoil. Strap a suppressor on the end, and both are pleasant to shoot all day with.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88