dehydrating food

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the past I've only done jerky but ordered a big dehydrator and thinking I'd try watermelon and fruit first to see how it turns out. Looking for ideas , maybe some MREs ?

Greenhorn

★ Legendary Member
Mangoes are super easy, I like strawberries too. Grapes/raisins take too long for my dehydrator - might just be easier/cheaper to buy those.
I’ve also done the “fruit leather” thing. Basically puree fruit then put it on a tray and let it dehydrate. It’s like a fruit snack/fruit roll up.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple chips are good. I've done cucumbers too and they just weren't my favorite. The 3 things I use my dehydrator for besides jerky is sweet corn, onions, and peppers. I also did some morels when i picked a bunch one year. I put the veggies in jars and then vacuum seal the lids on in the chamber vac and they keep for years. If you do onions make sure you do them in a garage or outside. i did them in the garage but left my sweatshirt out there with them and the staff at work was not impressed with the smell from my sweatshirt the next day

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
i should also mention my cousin dehydrated some Aronia Berry "jerky" and it tasted pretty good. I'm sure some type of better tasting fruit would be even better.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
We usually put all our pepper varieties at the end of the year through the dehydrator and a coffee grinder we use for just that to make a concoction. Use it on eggs, pizza, in chili or spaghetti etc etc etc

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are going to try my idea, depending on the pepper varieties used, make sure you do it in a well ventilated area. Much like making horseradish you can “pepper spray” yourself

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple chips are good. I've done cucumbers too and they just weren't my favorite. The 3 things I use my dehydrator for besides jerky is sweet corn, onions, and peppers. I also did some morels when i picked a bunch one year. I put the veggies in jars and then vacuum seal the lids on in the chamber vac and they keep for years. If you do onions make sure you do them in a garage or outside. i did them in the garage but left my sweatshirt out there with them and the staff at work was not impressed with the smell from my sweatshirt the next day

How do you do your sweet corn ? We had a bumper crop and have more than enough frozen. For sure I'll set up in the garage if I do onion and peppers plus I have a rolling cart so I'll be able to roll it out the door .

SurvivalAmazon88

Established Member
In the past I've only done jerky but ordered a big dehydrator and thinking I'd try watermelon and fruit first to see how it turns out. Looking for ideas , maybe some MREs ?
apricots, strawberries and peaches are good for things like oatmeal and cereal. You can always do veggies like peas, carrots and such for making noodles on to go. I haven't tried melons though, but I'm sure it's work out ok as well. Happy dehydrating.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you do your sweet corn ? We had a bumper crop and have more than enough frozen. For sure I'll set up in the garage if I do onion and peppers plus I have a rolling cart so I'll be able to roll it out the door .
For the sweet corn I just blanched it or whatever in a pot of boiling water for awhile, cooled it in cold water, cut off the cob with electric fillet knife then spread it out on the window screen on dehydrator trays and dried it. I’ve used it a lot in chilis and other hot dishes. It does suck up a lot of water to rehydrate. A friend also used it to rehydrate and make creamed corn a few times too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 204
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 55