Depredation ELK tags for Landowners

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The G&F should get something figured out soon, Elk area going to statewide in just a few years, just like the moose started

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you suggesting the NDGF should have cleaned up this fellas land for him by removing the elk?
I believe the bull elk was poached, and the landowner didn't want to mess with a animal that was part of an illegal act. He has problems with elk on his land and complains about it to the ndgf, so I can see his point.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I am not aware of any requirement for NDGF to haul away animals illegally shot and left in the country.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depredation tags should not be awarded until the landowner has shown that they have made an honest attempt at cutting down their wildlife numbers and conflict. That should include providing hunting opportunity to the public and taking advantage of the hay yards offered by the state. I've had these conversations at length with uncles that before the last couple of years have housed hundreds of deer in their hay yards all winter. It's real easy to find people (especially kids!) to come and knock down an easy doe on the land owner's terms.

^^^^^this 1000%^^^^
Majority of the landowner in this state do not have herds that stay on their land exclusively, to punish them because of the neighbors is wrong way to keep the peace between sportsman and landowner. There only obligation as a landlord is to allow access to their herds if they want to kill their own by way of a gratis.
You do realize that this is going to happen to other wildlife in north dakota, the agreement for getting a gratis tag for deer was for compensation for loss of property. People who own land are becoming smaller and smaller in north dakota and more land is being posted every year because of it. You start threatening land owners who are doing their only requirements to allowing hunters to shoot an elk on their land is for a gratis tag. Save this comment for your memories banks because like it or not wildlife numbers are not going to go down in certain areas if we don't keep the peace with the landowners who are nice enough to allow hunting on their land. It's the ndgf responsibility to manage herds in north dakota and as we can tell they have done a piss poor job of it since the inception of it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah well most people who put in for an elk tag don't put in for a once-in-a-lifetime antlerless
At my age I did. One landowner let me pass through his land to reach a school section. Nice guy. He asked me in for coffee and while there his neighbor called. My ears are good for my age and I coukd hear the neighbor. The neighbor was an outfitter and he was asking how he was going to make a living if people were allowed to hunt next yo him without paying. The guys land I was on had mounts of multiple 6x6 bulls he had taken on his land.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
At my age I did. One landowner let me pass through his land to reach a school section. Nice guy. He asked me in for coffee and while there his neighbor called. My ears are good for my age and I coukd hear the neighbor. The neighbor was an outfitter and he was asking how he was going to make a living if people were allowed to hunt next yo him without paying. The guys land I was on had mounts of multiple 6x6 bulls he had taken on his land.
PG. Was this in ND?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, that guys neighbor sounds pretty much like a douche bag. Maybe ding dong shouldn't have been able to guide on State School Land . They are a different bread. . .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88