Dept of Ag Sec. Purdue and DU

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I bet it pissed off the farm groups when Sonny Purdue showed up repping his DU swag! I love it!

[h=1]US Ag Secretary Perdue hears farm group concerns during North Dakota visit, extends MFP payment deadline[/h]By Mikkel Pates / Forum News Service on Apr 27, 2019 at 4:53 p.m.
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

042719.AG.AGSECRETARYND01.jpg
U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue, left, and U.S. Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., share some levity as they listen to agricultural group leaders discuss trade and implementation of the 2018 farm bill, among other things at Peterson Farms Seed headquarters near Harwood, N.D. Mikkel Pates / Forum News Service

HARWOOD, N.D. — U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue on Saturday, April 27, heard a parade of North Dakota farm group leaders offer support, but also concern about ongoing damage from trade wars before announcing an extension for the Market Facilitation Program payment deadline.

Perdue appeared at a roundtable event in Cass County hosted by U.S. Sen. John Hoven, R-N.D., and flanked by Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D., and North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, among others.
The secretary said his boss, President Donald Trump, has an “affinity for the risk-takers of agriculture.” Trade is the “No. 1 issue, north, south, east and west,” Perdue acknowledged, referring to soybean trade disruptions involving China, Canada, Mexico and the European Union.
He says he is cheered by President Trump, telling his trade negotiators “I want you to take care of my farmers. That’s what empowers me." Perdue noted he’d “never known an administration that had a heart for agriculture and farmers the way this guy does.”
“The difficulty with China, while things are very optimistic, it’s never over until it’s over with China,” Perdue said. “I don’t want to raise expectations, because if it happens it’s going to be very, very, very good. The numbers they put on the table as far as ag purchases are extremely favorable.”
He said the Chinese “get you right up to the feed trough and take the bucket away.”
[h=1]Soybean concerns[/h]Monte Peterson, a Valley City farmer and national director with the American Soybean Association, said that after several months of zero exports from Pacific Northwest ports, there have now been 16 weeks in a row when there have been exports to those ports.
However, Peterson noted the “trend does not look promising” because total soy exports lag 28% on the marketing year, with trade 52% down in the PNW ports and exports to China lagging 65% behind last year’s totals.
Hoeven also acknowledged he’s pressing the trade team to reach an agreement with China and keep trade in motion.
“It’s not that we’ve got to get sales done with China,” he said. “It’s to get sales going now.”
He said it takes more time to move agreements through Congress than it does to make executive agreements.
If the trade deal doesn’t get done, Perdue said he doesn’t see any new Market Facilitation Program payments moving forward for 2019.
“Just like farmers have always done, we’ve got to look at markets and plan for where we are right now,” Perdue said.
[h=1]MFP extension and other impacts[/h]Perdue announced an extension to May 17 for farmers offering production proof of 2018 crop yields to apply for Market Facilitation Program payments. Soybeans are paid $1.65 per bushel through the program. That could help an estimated 5% of state producers who still have unharvested crops from last year due to snow, particularly in the east-central and south-central areas of North Dakota.
Among other things, Perdue urged farm groups to become active on social media to offset what he called a “social attack on meat production.” He said the Food and Drug Administration oversees development of cellular-based products sometimes called “fake meat,” but he noted the USDA will regulate how it is produced, harvested, labeled and processed. Hoeven noted he has the FDA’s budget in his agricultural appropriations subcommittee.
Others in the meeting said trade disruptions have had major impacts on canola and dry edible beans. Perdue indicated he was concerned about cutbacks in sunflower and potato research levels by the Agricultural Research Service in the region.
[h=1]'Autonomous farm'[/h]After talking to farm and political leaders, Perdue helped cut a ceremonial ribbon to launch Grand Farm, a planned “autonomous farm” research and development site south of Fargo in Horace.
The Grand Farm project, just east of Exit 54 on Interstate Highway 29, is a brainchild of entrepreneurial and high-tech leaders, including Barry Batcheller, one of the region’s foremost agricultural entrepreneurs.
Batcheller said the project will bring millions in investment and will be a “makerspace” that allows the region to stay at the forefront of a new wave of agricultural research involving artificial intelligence and autonomous farming.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m still pissed at DU for spending millions in ND a few years ago trying to get a terrible ballot initiative through. I don’t even remember what the initiative was but I remember being mad as hell and they only got 20% of the vote. Spent like $100 per vote. That’s when they stopped getting my money.

How long do I stay mad?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ducks unlimited is a terrible group never forget what they tried to push through

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm confused. Where in the article does it say anything about how DU is involved in the soybean trade issue. Or, where does it tie Perdue with DU.
I also used to be a member of DU until they tried to fund the organization with oil tax dollars. Firm believer that such organizations should be member driven. Don't have an issue with their belief that good habitat for nesting of ducks is beneficial to the duck numbers. That is true for all game. Habitat that benefits ducks also benefits all wildlife. Just no longer a member because of their measure to add funding from the oil funds of ND.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm confused. Where in the article does it say anything about how DU is involved in the soybean trade issue. Or, where does it tie Perdue with DU.
I also used to be a member of DU until they tried to fund the organization with oil tax dollars. Firm believer that such organizations should be member driven. Don't have an issue with their belief that good habitat for nesting of ducks is beneficial to the duck numbers. That is true for all game. Habitat that benefits ducks also benefits all wildlife. Just no longer a member because of their measure to add funding from the oil funds of ND.

Look at the logo on his vest... it's a DU logo.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't DU all about the banning High Fence Hunting?

No, but they had leadership who were cheerleaders.

Hate to admit it but I have a DU shirt. They have done a wonderful job marketing their brand.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember the good old days when you didn't need a political science degree to be involved in hunting/fishing

- - - Updated - - -

also - since when is Ed Asner the Sec of Ag?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m still pissed at DU for spending millions in ND a few years ago trying to get a terrible ballot initiative through. I don’t even remember what the initiative was but I remember being mad as hell and they only got 20% of the vote. Spent like $100 per vote. That’s when they stopped getting my money.

How long do I stay mad?

DU is a very popular organization in pretty much every other state in the US except ND. There is a ton of support for their projects with private landowners in those states other than ND. There are some opposed to DU because they spend a lot of money on private lands that are not open to the public. DU is an important organization that does great work on habitat conservation.

I do wonder if Perdue got any questions on his vest with all the hatred of DU in ND

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did a big land grab in Canada and are also basically part of the government in Minnesota. Who's to say that they will not go 100% anti hunting??? If they keep getting government money no reason for hunters dollars anymore

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a few years ago DU use to pay so much an acre for a farmer to plant winter wheat (Grew early and quick so the ducks had something to nest in). Don't know if they still have that program or not.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They did a big land grab in Canada and are also basically part of the government in Minnesota. Who's to say that they will not go 100% anti hunting??? If they keep getting government money no reason for hunters dollars anymore
I don’t think the members and leadership would let that happen. Hunters are the core of DU. That’s like saying the NRA could turn into a pro Russia anti gun organization, not going to happen.

The only reason DU can get as much money as they receive is because of their private fundraising. They use that money to leverage money from the government.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
MM is right. DU helps to get Waterfowl Production Areas in place here in the Prairie Pothole region. Not just ducks but all wildlife benefits from them. And they are public lands.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That initiative hurt DU big time in ND. Sportsmen and landowners alike were pretty much in agreement that the initiative was not good for ND. For duck hunters it's hard to argue that what DU's basic goal of raising more ducks is not good for waterfowl hunters. If a duck lands on a farmers swathed grain it's DU's fault. Perhaps if the land was unposted hunters would have been in the field trying to chase the ducks away. LOL. That wouldn't have worked as someone's property rights of wanting to feed ducks would have been violated. You just never know which farmer likes ducks and which one doesn't.

Unfortunately, in this case, I think the representatives of DU from outside the state saw what they thought was easy money and convinced the personnel of ND to join in. There was a time when in some areas of the state that DU banquets in the fall were widely attended and huge money-makers. Now, I rarely hear of them, think I saw a notice of 1 last fall. Some bad advice ended up being no good for anyone, not even the ducks.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ducks Unlimited ran two ballot measures for the 5% oil revenue rip off. They wanted about $100 million a year. The first one ended with the Fargo football player fiasco and the second failed 20% yeas to 80% nays.

The State executive branch under Dahlpimple said let's compromise and give them $10 million per year. City orgs, farm orgs said OK. When the Outdoor Heritage Fund Bill got introduced it was mysteriously $15 million. Oh well. Everyone testified in favor. When that was done the wildlife industry reps tried to amend it back to $100 million. That failed. They then tried an end around with a concurrent resolution where-by the legislature would put it on the ballot for them so they wouldn't have to go through the hassle of collecting signatures again.

So now we have an Outdoor Heritage Fund where persons/orgs can submit proposals for the peoples money in the form of a grant. The last batch of submissions:

http://www.nd.gov/ndic/out-agenda181203.html

II. Consideration of December 3, 2018 agenda (additions/deletions) - Jim Melchior

III. Consideration of August 27, 2018 meeting minutes (Attachment A)

IV. Outdoor Heritage Fund (OHF) Financial Report (Attachment B) - Karlene Fine

V. Administrative Discussion - Jim Melchior, Andrea Pfennig
(Approximately 9:00 a.m.)
VI. Presentations:
1. 13-09 (C) ND Natural Resources Trust: Dakota Skipper Habitat Restoration/Enhancement Partnership, $897,250
2. 13-11 (C) ND Natural Resources Trust: ND Grassland Restoration Project, $104,500
3. 13-16 (C) Hettinger County Water Resource Board: Karey Dam Rehabilitation Project, $180,000
4. 13-17 (C) Benson County Water Resource Board: Bouret Dam Rehabilitation Project, $98,000
5. 13-13 (D) Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation: Rough Rider Adventure Park, $430,000
6. 13-15 (D) City of Dickinson: Crooked Crane Trail Phase 2, $1,200,000
(Approximately 10:20 a.m.)
Break (15 minutes)
(Approximately 10:35 a.m.)
7. 13-14 (D) United Prairie: Prairie to the People, $51,628
8. 13-06 (D) Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa: Sky Chief Park Fishing Dock Project, $74,000
9. 13-07 (D)Hunter Arthur Joint Park Board JPA, Northern Cass Pass $103,125
10. 13-01 (D) Bottineau County: Lake Metigoshe Narrows Improvements, $143,561
11. 13-02 (D) Devils Lake Park District: Creel Bay Dock & Boat Slip, $55,000
12. 13-18 (D) LaMoure Lions: Sunset Park Revitalization Project, $10,000
(Approximately 12:00 p.m.)
Break for Lunch (30 minutes)
(Approximately 12:30 p.m.)
13. 13-08 (A) Tri-Cities JDA: Schatz Point Fishing Pier, $42,500
14. 13-12 (A) City of Powers Lake: Powers Lake Pier Improvement, $120,046
15. 13-03 (B) Steele County WRD: Lake Tobiason Improvements, $86,000
16. 13-04 (B) Pheasants Forever: North Central Soil Health & Habitat, $52,500
17. 13-05 (B) Walsh County 3 Rivers SCD: Walsh Windbreak Initiative (WWI), $135,000
18. 13-10 (B) Ducks Unlimited: Cover Crop & Livestock Integration Project II, $1,250,790
19. 13-19 (B) Audubon Dakota: Central Coteau Prairie Management Toolbox, $669,175

A presenter has
a few minutes for the pitch almost like shark tank.
I have only attended one OHF meeting years ago and some of the proposals back then were pretty sketchy, nothing to do with conservation. Like I said, some of the proposals were just long winded and bad. At break, a guy from Game and Fish sat by me and asked what am I doing here? I had a dental appointment with an hour to kill. He said tell you what, let's trade places. You sit here and listen to this, I'll climb in your dental chair and get a fucking root canal.

They do two to three batches of applications per year. I think the ones listed above and below qualified:

http://www.nd.gov/ndic/ohf-applications.html

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fritz were maybe better off with a good solid 15 million. The 5% could have been a lot of money one year and nearly none another year. After all 5% of nothing isn't 100 million it's nothing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76