Did all the ducks in MN leave???

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those poor little shit ducks that have been resting peacefully in the sloughs and road ditches all summer are in for a shock in about a half hour
I don't know about elsewhere but my area saw a dramatic switch from the all LBD lineup last week to most mallards being nearly full color with full green heads now. So there is little doubt a fair few birds have been on the move in the last week. I was also surprised by the size of some of the goose flocks that went from nothing to a few thousand in a week not to mention the sudden appearance of a few hundred sandhill cranes and the first couple dozen swans. Best crane numbers I've seen this early in the last few years.

Screenshot_20171001-081144.jpg

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Made a quick trip to little Minneapolis and stopped for lunch in Devils Lake. The restaurant parking lot was packed with Minnesota and Wisconsin plated outfits with dog/decoy trailers. Met many more from DL towards Grandforks.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made a quick trip to little Minneapolis and stopped for lunch in Devils Lake. The restaurant parking lot was packed with Minnesota and Wisconsin plated outfits with dog/decoy trailers. Met many more from DL towards Grandforks.

Good . Who cares , it's great for economy in local small town nd . Plenty of birds

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to clarify, I'm not against non-residents coming to our state. It'd be pretty hypocritical since I fish MN somewhat regularly in the winter. I was more just floored at the amount of rigs on the road...and maybe stir the pot just a little. :D

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like normal for pre MEA in my area I saw 4 local to every 1 nonres. Ironically the best spots were in areas traditionally blown to hell but we're void of people today and the normal good areas were a fucking zoo devoid of birds so go figure.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure about just NRs. After resident opener, I'm scratching my head about all the hunters, period. Seems like suddenly everyone hunts ducks. Is it because nobody is getting deer tags??

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a lot of blue plates with boat trailers after our hunts this weekend....All hunting roosts so their probably will not be any local ducks left

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't blame folks that have the desire and the gumption to travel to get in on a good hunt,whether its Oh Canada or the dakotas here in the central midwest,but Mn is almost void for a good duck hunt,infact after the youth weekend in sept here most local birds bug out,AND FEW MIGRATE THRU THESE DAYS.

I head west for field hunts,to much work for my beat up body and old age to water hunt these days,actually perfer south dakota as its rare to bump into waterfowl hunters,rez or non rez as the state only allows 3750 10 day non rez tags state wide but the lotto sucks.Late season mallards in nebraska near grand island is a another great area but most private land near the roosting area of the platte river are leased up,helps to know folks tho.

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I call most divers shit ducks but some guyz like the gamey flavor of these ducks,don't get me wrong shooting bills,cans and redheads over dekes is a gas but much perfer grain fed mallards or woodducks and a few blue wing teal when possible for the table.Mergies buffel head and golden eye will stink the house up while ya cook'em much like snow geese.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love me some blue bills and bufflehead. I ate a swan once that was gamy no one else would eat it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 181
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57