Directionally challenged

Skullet

Established Member
Anybody else married to someone who could get lost in their back yard? Love my wife, but the poor woman drives me crazy sometimes!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha, I tell my wife if I wanted to get rid of her, all I have to do is take her out into the country 5 miles, because she would never find her way back.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I give my wife directions and want to get her lost I just tell her the correct ones. If I want her to find her destination I can probably just give her everything backwards then she should be golden

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had three grandsons that could get lost in a closet. I shit you not.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i'd have to take my bride 500 miles into the wilderness for her not to be able to find a sale at a mall somewhere... i think she has a built in app...

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy's sister once left devils lake headed back for college in st. Cloud. Got to the Canadian border and when they asked her where she was headed, she told em. Of course it led to a very thorough search of her person and vehicle. My wife isn't too bad with directions. She understands north, South, East and West. Which is better than about 50% of the population of both sexes these days.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy's sister once left devils lake headed back for college in st. Cloud. Got to the Canadian border and when they asked her where she was headed, she told em. Of course it led to a very thorough search of her person and vehicle. My wife isn't too bad with directions. She understands north, South, East and West. Which is better than about 50% of the population of both sexes these days.

I have a very similar story. Back in high school a couple girls I knew left Fargo and headed "south" on I94 to go back home. Well they didn't realize they were going the wrong direction until they got to the Canadian border. They were until 18 so they had to have their parents (who lived almost 4 hrs away) come pick them up.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stories. Left Braddock one night (la-a-a-a-te) after a Johnny Holmes concert. I wasn't driving, but I should have noticed that instead of heading west, then north, back to Bismarck, we were headed to South Dakota. Made for a very long night. But Bud Light almost certainly was involved.

It IS funny though. My wife is okay at directions, but there are a LOT of people, of both genders, who can't "do" north south east west in their head. I have a pretty good GPS in mine, even in a big metro area.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was not for google maps and a dash mounted GPS, my wife could not find an address that she has not been to before. She also has no sense of NSEW. The one time we drove cross country, she did drive 4 hr in the wrong direction when I needed to sleep. It was a real dumb and dumber moment.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a very similar story. Back in high school a couple girls I knew left Fargo and headed "south" on I94 to go back home. Well they didn't realize they were going the wrong direction until they got to the Canadian border. They were until 18 so they had to have their parents (who lived almost 4 hrs away) come pick them up.

Well, part of the problem was that last time I was on I-94 it goes East and West, not North and South. Pretty sure I-94 doesn't ever cross into Canada. lol

I'm pretty good with directions but have been lost (at least wasn't sure where I was) a couple of times. One resulted in ending up about 5 miles from my intended destination. On foot, not in a vehicle. That was a long trip back once I realized where I was. Should have known better as the wind was at my back when I left and common sense would dictate that the wind should have been in my face on the way back.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
cant make fun of any one as i am real good at getting lost. At least i have done it so much i dont even panic when out in the middle of no where

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't stand not knowing which way is north, even in a huge building. I usually know my directions even in the cities. The only time in my life where I can say I was truly turned around is when I was 15 years old and went to Germany for 2 weeks. It was always cloudy, and the roads were never straight, and I was constantly buzzed, from the time I got off the plane, for about two weeks.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dropped my little sister off in Napoleon so she could pick up a truck she had bought. I left and went home to Bismarck. About 5 hours later we were getting worried and the phone rang. She had no idea where she was, but the name of the town was Aberdeen...

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife is map/direction poor. Plus taking directions is no better. We were recently on the road through Iowa and told here to take exit "11". Well she took the next exit, exit "10" and when I pointed out to her that it wasn't the right one, she broke into a tirade about my giving poor directions. Oh well.

Since then, I do all the driving . . . and don't ask her for help with directions. It is a lot less painful.

><><

She was recently talking to some friends of ours on the phone and I orverheard her talking about our back yard and how it was on the sourh side of the house. Well, unless the recent storm lifted it up off its foundation and set it down 180 degrees around, our backyard is towards the north. Through the years I have tried to help her out with "the sun rises in the east" it "sets in the west." Somehow the dots just don't connect for her.

><><>

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think more people need to actually see the sun rise. Set them on top of a hill and watch it come up. Spend all day outside and watch it go down. I think we're losing something that is pretty important to our species.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife has lived in Bismarck all her life and she has trouble finding her way to Mandan

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always tell the people who are out with us when we go trail riding in the S x S's that we can't be lost if we don't know where we are going to. Heck just remain calm and think about it for awhile and most of the time if you don't know where you are it will come to you.
I have never had a problem with knowing which way is north no matter where i have been whether it be day or night. But that is until we went to Payson, Az this past winter. To me north in Payson should be west. Down there 10 days or so and couldn't get my mind to wrap around that. Must be old age! ;:;banghead

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I briefly dated a gal from Rapid City after my divorce. Upon leaving Bismarck after a few days up here I got a call from her about 2.5 hours after she left to go back home. She needed to know if she should turn at Valley City. On the plus side, she was extremely well attributed and a lot of fun.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its good when you have to put both hands on top of her head and show her where south is.:;:rockit

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38