Dirt Bikes

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There isn't much that beats the sound of a built 125! It's interesting to see the manufacturers headed towards electric bikes. I'd love to ride the new Stark mx bike but no noise would be very hard to get used to. Honda just announced they're racing their electric prototype in the Japanese nationals.
All you hear is chain slapping. Sounds like shit

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My plan was to go to unadilla’s big vintage races next year and race my 87’ yz250 and 91’ cr125. But got another nasty concussion this summer (about the tenth one) so I have to think it through 🤣

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Motocross bikes now are essentially all four strokes aside from the little bikes. Hard to imagine four strokes spinning 12,000 rpm

12,000 sounds crazy , 4 strokes have came a long ways . Kids were home this weekend and brought their bikes. Grandkids have 110 Hondas and my boy a 450 KTM that I took for a short dig. Quite the difference from the bikes I used to ride but I could get used to that long power band. Not sure if it's actually much faster than the old two stroke 420 KX two stroke but it seemed like about half as much shifting. I can see why racers like them.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
12,000 sounds crazy , 4 strokes have came a long ways . Kids were home this weekend and brought their bikes. Grandkids have 110 Hondas and my boy a 450 KTM that I took for a short dig. Quite the difference from the bikes I used to ride but I could get used to that long power band. Not sure if it's actually much faster than the old two stroke 420 KX two stroke but it seemed like about half as much shifting. I can see why racers like them.
I'm not much of a four stroke guy either. Haven't raced seriously for a long time now and the 2 strokes for me are just more fun to play around on. I know the older guys get all misty eyed about how fast the 500's were but today's bikes are probably faster. My dad has a 2003 525 SX that he had the motor done on years ago. They bore and stroked it and flowed the head. It's a 4 speed but he had them add the 5th and 6th EXC gears. That bike is probably faster then anything you could throw a leg over. He has a couple new race replicas too and the power is pretty amazing as well.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think the 450 four strokes are faster than a 500 two stroke in a flat out drag. But you will definitely get around the track much faster because it’s so much easier to ride.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was my take too. Suspension is way better for all around riding, this one was too stiff for me but that's all adjustable . I used to be a wheelie riding fool so I tried to pull a wheelie and couldn't get it to pop, it would just pull a foot off the ground and go far and fast and felt like It had wheely bars. let off the throttle and front tire hit like a sack of potatoes. Must be a 4 stroke thing or part of the adjustable tuning , it almost felt like a jake brake.

Is there a balance point on the new ones where you get it up and ride the back tire for a mile ? I had a KDX 250 with unirail suspension or what ever they called it. It was good to ride but couldn't hold a wheelie with it. The older ones had this sweet spot where you could ride a wheelie for miles.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was my take too. Suspension is way better for all around riding, this one was too stiff for me but that's all adjustable . I used to be a wheelie riding fool so I tried to pull a wheelie and couldn't get it to pop, it would just pull a foot off the ground and go far and fast and felt like It had wheely bars. let off the throttle and front tire hit like a sack of potatoes. Must be a 4 stroke thing or part of the adjustable tuning , it almost felt like a jake brake.

Is there a balance point on the new ones where you get it up and ride the back tire for a mile ? I had a KDX 250 with unirail suspension or what ever they called it. It was good to ride but couldn't hold a wheelie with it. The older ones had this sweet spot where you could ride a wheelie for miles.
There’s guys that can do it. You have to learn how to do it with these bikes because they’re not set up the same way suspension wise. The complexity of the suspension now is crazy. I’ve been doing suspension rebuilding/servicing/valving for the last fifteen years. It’s an art to say the least. You can make them do whatever you want them to do

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was an honda Enduro, honda fat cat,.and yamaha 3 wheeler all in 2 stroke all had wicked torque when you can barely touch the ground.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84